roobios tea ale question..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Powtownbrew

Reaction score
Just wondering has anyone played around with using tea in their beers? Im guessing it would be steeped at 160 for 15 mins then added to your boil at the last 5 mins?

any help is much appreciated.

happy brewing

I have used a lot of teas in my beers and in fact have brewed a Rooibos Red Ale a few times that turned out pretty well... In that beer I actually added an herbal blend including Rooibos at 15 minutes in the boil, however I do notice that you tend to get more bitter herbal characteristics. I also do a Wood Betony Amber that I steep the herbal tea for 15 minutes and then add at 5 minutes or flameout and I think you get more of a smooth flavor profile. I use this method on my Green Tea Blonde and Mountainside Amber (has Pu'er tea in it) and like it better. Learning more about green tea and how it is traditionally made with such specific brew temperatures and times, really made me understand that teas don't need as much time to steep as we usually leave them. However, where a black tea may only need 2-4 minutes, rooibos needs a little more time like 5-10 minutes and the water should be hot and boiling prior to steeping. So, in your case, I would probably go with a 10 minute steep and add it at flameout.

What kind of beer are you thinking about brewing?

Right on thanks for the input , i think im going to do a pale ale with a hint of rooibos . cant wait to find out how it turns!

happy brewin!

How did your beer turn out? I took 2nd place at the Michigan Beer Cup over the summer in the vegetable/herb/spice category with a Rooibos blonde. I called it the "Madiba" after the passing of Mandela. My advice would be to cold steep the tea for a day or two, then add it to the secondary. It gives it a smooth flavor without the harshness of the tannins.
Hope this helps

Back