What have i done!?!?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JTW628

Reaction score
Ok I know I have pulled a dumb ass move but I can't get my siphon to work, and have now stirred up the yeast (jaom). I made sure bottle is lower than gallon jug, I tried using a racking cane but gave up on that and went straight hose. As soon as I stop sucking it out it stops immediately.

Is it possible that something is blocking the hose? The orange, perhaps? If you're having trouble with the racking apparatus, I suggest going with a simple hose, sucking with your mouth and keeping the receiving vessel lower. It will work!
Oh, by the way, if the yeast have been stirred, leave it for tomorrow, dude. It's not worth racking if it's not as clear as it could be...
Hope it helps!

Thanks I'm thinking I didn't have it low enough. I had jug on counter and bottle in sink. And the hose was clear no other problems I can see. Oh and I did end up trying just the hose without the cane.

Yeah sounds like it's not low enough. I have my mead on a table/ chair, and the bottles on the floor. Give it a few quick pumps, and you're off to the races. A good thing to do is practice with the racking cane with a bucket of water into another bucket somewhere lower. Once your comfortable with the device, it's time to move onto your mead.

I did this with early gallon batches back in the day.

First put a balloon on the gallon carboy. Just like the ghetto airlock idea.

Cut off the tip of the balloon so now it is just a rubber sleeve.

Place in two hoses. One with racking cane and the other does not need to stick in far.

Stretch the rubber sleeve by pulling the tubes apeart and then use your fingers to close up the open part of the rubber. This makes an air tight seal now.

Blow in one tube and liquid comes out the other. Once the liquid starts flowing it should continue with gravity taking effect.

There are commercial versions of this at the LHBS but the balloon and two tube trick worked for me.

Should I cut my racking cane down since I just have a gallon jug? It sticks up pretty high right now.

Yeah slice it, then put your hand over the top of your bottle with the house in it and suck hard.

Ok so I finally have it another shot and figured out what I was doing wrong. I used a normal stopper in the top with a drilled hole just big enough for my cane. I took it off slid the cane in just holding on by hand and it worked great. After watching a Few youtube videos I'm guessing with the top sealed it wasn't allowing the atmospheric pressure change to happen.

Ahh yes. When the liquid level falls it creates a low pressure area and gasses from outside the carboy needs to flow in. If they can't then a slight vacuum is created which prevents the liquid level from dropping more.

Glad you got it all figured out.

Latest posts

Back