White layer = infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

brewtalk

Reaction score
I brewed a 5 gallon batch of a simple pale ale with 2-row pale malt as the base grain with 2 lbs or so of specialty grain. I used 1056 Wyeast American Ale Yeast. I brewed about 10 days ago and now see a thin white film in my primary, photo attached. I Haven't seen this before, just wondering if anybody had any ideas? Soem process I have used with 6 batches with no problem.

Thanks for taking a look.

brew.JPG

I can't tell completely from the picture, but I'm 99% sure that it's just co2 bubbles and/or yeast settling out. A lot of beers look like this if you catch it at the right time. I bet you're good to go! :mug:

Hi all,

Thanks for the quick feedback. Ill keep an eye on it but your expertise is much appreciated.

Sorry for another infection thread; I couldn't find the long infection thread in the app.

Cheers!

I had a batch that looked just like that a couple of weeks ago, the little floaters never settled. I just siphoned out from under them, they stuck to the sides of the fermenter as it emptied. It's not really ready to drink yet, but so far it is turning out to be one of my best. Looks like you have a winner to me.

Back