Best lager/ale split batch recipes

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bock_Lesnar

Reaction score
A bit of a bizarre question possibly, seeing almost any wort can handle either a lager or an ale yeast of some sort, but what I'm looking for are some suggestions for good recipes that I can split the batch on using a lager yeast in one fermenter and an ale yeast in the other.

Thoughts? Suggestions? Recipes?

Irish red ales are a good option to explore; there are several recipes in the Recipes sections which specifically describe trying both. In a similar vein, the Home Run red ale that's kicking around in various iterations does well split.

For something a little more aromatic, Jack's Abbey in Massachusetts makes a host of hopped up lagers (not being unique in that regard, of course), so trying a split between WLP001 and WLP830 on a clean hoppy beer could be fun. 1.060, done 95/5 with 2-row and Cr40, then hopped up with clean hops like galaxy/cascade could be nice.

Another option is make something like Magic Hat's No.9, where the apricot flavor goes so well with the hint of sulfur of a lager yeast.

Or go really out there and make a dry stout.

Baltic porters are another option that can be brewed with a lager or ale yeast - typically a clean ale yeast would be used, but I would think that kind of recipe would go well with others.

Latest posts

Back