Sanke Keg transformations - few quick checks

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

allegrini

Reaction score
Hi there, Going away completely from Aluminium. Bought some 13Gals sanke kegs cheaply (not free, but cheaply) from a reputable source and want to convert them to my SS brewing station.

My initial plan:

1) 1 Keg for Hot Liquor Tun and Keggle
2) 1 Keg for Mash Tun
3) 1 Keg for Fermenter
4) 1 Keg for future Kegging project

What I've done so far:
* Removed the valve and lid on two of the kegs and will do the same for the third one.
Here goes the valve:

here goes the lid:

And got it cleaned:

Before:

And After:

Acquired:
* Two 1/2" Weldless Bulkhead w/ SS valve (for the HLT and Mash Tun)
* A Thermometer (3" Dial with 6" Stainless Probe)
* weldless (for the Mash Tun)
* Two Bazooka Screen (for HLT and Mash Tun)

So no side holes drilled yet. And this is where I'd like your expertise.

I was thinking of placing it at the lowest possible point for both Bulkheads in the Mash Tun and HLT and a 1/4 of the barrel height from the bottom for the Mash Tun for the thermometer. Any ideas/suggestions/recommendations?

Also, do you think it's feasible to use the same keg for both HLT and Beer Kettle? Or should I try to have a separate one so when I'm lautering, the wort goes directly into the Beer Kettle and not into a bucket while the HLT is being used for sparging?

Lot's a newbie questions :eek: but I prefer asking them instead of patching a badly made hole at a later stage... :)

Cheers!

Allegrini

Back