Best Mash Tun Insulator, Keg Koozy!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ericmalvarez

Reaction score
Alright fellow brewers, so I recently finished building my 3 tier all grain set up and one of the last things I was looking for before calling it complete and christening it with it's first batch was a way to keep the keggle mash tun at a constant temp with out using an extra burner. Some of the advantages of a non-fired mash tun are decreased cost of initial build material i.e. one less burner and hardware to worry about and also the savings in propane although nominal. I did a lot of research on what materials would work best and came up on a lot of good ideas and of lot of boot leg one's too. And don't get me wrong I love making things work and there are couple of short cuts on my system but when it comes to quality control and making sure you're brewing a consistent beer I really try to get best materials I can afford. If I was going to rate this insulation on convenience, style, function and thermal retention it would be double 10s all the way across the sky!:fro: My good friends the Keg Koozy is the future of non-fired keggle mash tun insulation! It's easy to install, clean and it is absolutely perfect at keeping your mash temp with 0 fluctuation. (Brewing outside on mid to high 70s day in April) the best $40 bucks I've spent on my system by far! Oh and it keeps kegs cold too, so ditch the ice next time you have a kegger.

photo 2.JPG

photo 3.JPG

photo 4.JPG

Not trying to be negative (don't want to ruin that big smile in picture 1), but I have to say it's pretty much impossible that just putting that keg koozie on maintained your mash temp with 0 fluctuation for 60 minutes outside. It would have to be about 160F outside for that to actually happen, not high 70s.

Most heat escapes through the top, and it doesn't look like you don't have any insulation on the top!!

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/keggle-insulation-keg-koozie-vs-reflectix-pics-301888/

This guy did actual science with actual data plotting of mash temps with a keg koozie, and he lost 26F of temp with the keg koozie on in a 60 minute mash. There were even a few guys that corraborated his data with their experiences. I have to think that his semi-controlled experiment is closer to the real data.

Without insulation on the top of your mash tun, there's no way you didn't radiate a good amount of heat out of the top over a 60 minute mash. A stainless steel keg lid radiates heat 100% of the time.

I went ghetto in this respect. I'm doing PB/PM BIAB,& am still using my 4 gallon SS stock pot. when I'm done stirring the mash,I put two pot holders on the inside of my thinsulate & synthetic down filled winter hooded hunting coat. Setting the BK/MT on that,& flipping the hood over top of the covered kettle. Then wrap the sides around that & tie off with the sleeves around that for the one hour mash. By the end of the mash,it gains one degree.
Many have argued this point,but I've repeated it a few times already. Thermodynamics come into play with mash temp consistency. So whatever you can do to help in this regard is a good thing. But it does have to be "complete"...

+1 to what Union said.

I used to use an army issue wool blanket and then his idea struck me as even better. I wrap an old wool / down filled hunting coat around the cooler.

The key is the ability to tie the arms around the cooler!

Personally, I use a couple of old asbestos moving blankets that I wrap the mash tun in then secure with bungees. In the FL summer, I maintain temps within about 1 degree, about 3 degrees in the FL winter.

Asbestos is a heck of an insulator, and is fireproof, I just gotta be careful not to eat/inhale the blanket :)

+1 to what Union said.

I used to use an army issue wool blanket and then his idea struck me as even better. I wrap an old wool / down filled hunting coat around the cooler.

The key is the ability to tie the arms around the cooler!

I'm big enough to where wrapping the sleeves around the BK/Mt isn't a problem. & the hood is big enough to hang over the lidded top too. so it all wraps up with a couple layers total from the hood,sides,& sleeves wrapped arounf it.

Not trying to be negative (don't want to ruin that big smile in picture 1), but I have to say it's pretty much impossible that just putting that keg koozie on maintained your mash temp with 0 fluctuation for 60 minutes outside. It would have to be about 160F outside for that to actually happen, not high 70s.

Most heat escapes through the top, and it doesn't look like you don't have any insulation on the top!!

Check out this thread: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/keggle-insulation-keg-koozie-vs-reflectix-pics-301888/

This guy did actual science with actual data plotting of mash temps with a keg koozie, and he lost 26F of temp with the keg koozie on in a 60 minute mash. There were even a few guys that corraborated his data with their experiences. I have to think that his semi-controlled experiment is closer to the real data.

Without insulation on the top of your mash tun, there's no way you didn't radiate a good amount of heat out of the top over a 60 minute mash. A stainless steel keg lid radiates heat 100% of the time.

I can't argue with science, and I did lose tuns of heat at mash in but once the keggle absorbed some heat and I hit my mash temp after one hour I didn't see any fluctuation in temperature. Lets say my thermometers are are faulty, I'll say that maybe there was a 1-3 degree margin of error at most in my situation but brother that needle didn't move. I'll tell you what, anyone who has any doubts about how this insulator works or is just looking to streamline their operation should buy one. The company really stands behind their product, if you're not satisfied you'll get 110% of your money back. You really have nothing to lose unless you already have a system that works for you and have no need for this very sleek set up. :mug:

http://thekegkoozy.com/

From their website.:

"If you purchase and post a review and picture on your homebrew forum (Homebrewtalk, Northernbrewer, etc…), we’ll refund 50% of your purchase price!"

Maybe that explains this posting?

Can I just order a bunch and return them all and get rich by collecting the 110% refund? ;)

Using this on a keg for mashing purposes sounds like a terrible idea that won't work at all.

From their website.:

"If you purchase and post a review and picture on your homebrew forum (Homebrewtalk, Northernbrewer, etc…), we’ll refund 50% of your purchase price!"

Maybe that explains this posting?

Can I just order a bunch and return them all and get rich by collecting the 110% refund? ;)

Using this on a keg for mashing purposes sounds like a terrible idea that won't work at all.
Why are you on this forum? I'm posting this so I can get 50% of my money back and because this product worked for me and if there is someone out there that's looking for and inexpensive and effective insulator maybe this post will help them. This forum is for us to help each other out and exchange good ideas. If you're skeptical and have your own opinion that's fine, but when you are being rude and ignorant you fall outside the boundaries of what a forum is all about. Do us all a favor and keep your poorly thought out comments to your self, the grown ups are talking.

Nice setup AnOldUR! Are you using electric heating elements and if you are how long does it take to get up to boil temp?

Shouldn't this just be in the review section or something, since he basically admitted he is reviewing (advertising) to get his 50% back?

Personally, I went slightly higher end ghetto :) I made a koozy out of leftover hot water tank wrap. You could buy some of that (called Reflectix and Home Deopt) and create a top for your mash tun to trap some of the rising heat.
Here is a pic of my setup. You can't really see it well, but I put the Reflectix of on the lid as well as wrapped around the outside.

image-3704826173.jpg

It's impossible for me to convince people that certain opinions fall outside of my role as a vendor, but I'll try anyway. When a company bribes people to spread the word on one of their products, it immediately invalidates whatever that customer says about the product. Of course the review will be positive out of fear that the vendor will not live up to the deal.

Everything you say about the koozy could be 100% true, but the premise of the situation creates doubt. Now, separate from the bribe, the claim about zero heat loss adds another layer of skepticism and it reads like an advertisement anyway.

The product is obviously a viable solution to reduce SOME heat loss and the vendor should rely on organic word of mouth to carry the product. I don't sell a competing product so take this as an opinion from a fellow consumer and brewer, or not.

I agree, but one could also be happy enough to keep it, especially at 50% of the quoted price. I'm not saying the vendor would, by rule, reject the refund if the post was negative. I'm suggesting that by the very nature of the offer, a customer is likely to post an inflated positive experience whether they want to or not. It's just the way I read the post and I may be wrong.

I don't agree that coupon codes or promotions are the same. If I offer something, it's me here acting as the business. The OP came in and posted a very positive review of a product which would be looked at as completely organic if we didn't find out later that it wasn't. It becomes dishonest when there is an entirely separate motive. Even though the vendor may be a great company or person, it kind of lowers the impression down to how our buddy Tom started shill posting as a naive customer. OK, it's not that bad but it is heading down an unethical road in my opinion.

I'm with Bobby. The fact that he blatantly admits that he is doing it for the 50% off makes it feel much less genuine, especially because that is not mentioned until he was called out on it.

And how much of a mark-up does he have on those things if he is selling every one of them at 50% off and refunding 110%? :confused:

AnOldUR said:
Thanks. From mash temps to boil takes about a half hour with a 3500W induction plate. Not too speedy, but it runs off a 20amp 240V breaker. The HLT has a 3000W heating element in it that plugs into the same outlet.

So could I use an induction plate like that for a single vessel full volume BIAB set up to mash then bring to boil? That would be way easier then installing an element into the kettle.

Holy F'n Sh*tballs! I just received my Keg Koozie in the mail, and I have to tell you about it! Not only does it insulate the top of my mash tun WITHOUT EVEN TOUCHING IT (magical!), it also cured my testicular cancer, just from my b*lls being in it's presence, healed my bunyons with a single touch, and turned my wort into a complete chilled and carbonated beer in 22.5 seconds, just by putting it on the mash tun. All you have to do is whisper the style you want into one of the "Ks" in the logo, and your beer is ready to drink 22.5 seconds later. Also, unicorns with Lephrechan jockeys decend from the sky and sing Grateful Dead songs to me every time I use the Keg Koozie. They even stick around and help with brewday cleanup!

I'm pretty sure my "junk" has even gained about 10% length and girth since the Keg Koozie came into my possession, and I'm positive I've lost 8 lbs and 2% body fat in only one Keg Koozie brewday. Plus, my wife has gained firmer breasts and buns and suddenly likes beer, hockey, and giving daily b**w jobs without reciprocation, and she doesn't even know the Keg Koozie exists (it wasn't in the budget, I keep it hidden)! Must just be a proximity effect, but it attests to the awesome power of the Keg Koozie!

Best $$$ I've ever spent, it made all my fantasies come true. Worth tens of thousands more than I paid for it!!

Thanks Keg Koozie!

Now, about that 50% cash back........:eek:

I can "blatantly admit" that I am writing the review for 50% back if I know that the product actually works for me. Trust me, if this didn't work I would have opted for a full refund. Did you think of that my friends? Why would I waste my time to write a review on something that didn't work? Seems like a waste of time, just like all of this bickering. This forum is a place for beer, beards, and manly things, so take this premenstrual bitching elsewhere. Next brew day, I'll whip out my DSLR and film a nice, high quality video of the of the whole process for all you negative naggers.

TopherM, my deepest condolences that you're still counting on that "Junk" to grow.

I use basically the same product from another company ( Kegskins ). It does not hold mash temp for an hour. I use a herms and it does help quite a bit. I noticed the first time I used it I only had to have the hlt 1 degree above mash temp to keep temp. Before I had to have a 2-3degree differential to keep the mash at temp. I used a groupon to get it for $25 shipped. If it was the full $40 price I might have thought twice. It is much easier to clean and remove than reflectix.

It's impossible for me to convince people that certain opinions fall outside of my role as a vendor, but I'll try anyway. When a company bribes people to spread the word on one of their products, it immediately invalidates whatever that customer says about the product. Of course the review will be positive out of fear that the vendor will not live up to the deal.

Everything you say about the koozy could be 100% true, but the premise of the situation creates doubt. Now, separate from the bribe, the claim about zero heat loss adds another layer of skepticism and it reads like an advertisement anyway.

The product is obviously a viable solution to reduce SOME heat loss and the vendor should rely on organic word of mouth to carry the product. I don't sell a competing product so take this as an opinion from a fellow consumer and brewer, or not.

It's a valid criticism, but I think as a reputable Vendor you also understand that if you do great, provide a quality product, and really put your heart into it your chances of getting a review are minimal.

People only have something to say when it's negative. This is a broad summation people, I know, but all the same I deal with this daily and feel I have relevant insight.

Do I like the fact they are offering compensation for a review? I do not. If they were looking for objective reviews I have more than one qualified reviewer I would be happy to put them in touch with, but mehs don't sell inventory, so they offered compensation as a motivator.

Ultimately it's in understanding the review. Without context of motivation it can be misleading, but as many people in this thread have attested to, there's always someone willing to come along and tell you you're wrong. That's the easy review to get.

I can "blatantly admit" that I am writing the review for 50% back if I know that the product actually works for me. Trust me, if this didn't work I would have opted for a full refund. Did you think of that my friends? Why would I waste my time to write a review on something that didn't work? Seems like a waste of time, just like all of this bickering. This forum is a place for beer, beards, and manly things, so take this premenstrual bitching elsewhere. Next brew day, I'll whip out my DSLR and film a nice, high quality video of the of the whole process for all you negative naggers.

TopherM, my deepest condolences that you're still counting on that "Junk" to grow.

I don't think people are arguing that it doesn't work. We are arguing that your review loses almost all validity when we know that you are getting a kickback because of it.

And writing that review didn't waste your time, it saved you money. Big difference. I'll keep an eye out for your video....

Sorry Bobby, I like you and love your products, but if a business solicits yelp, facebook, link'd in, twitter, or any other social media feedback by offering a discount, coupon, etc...or even just utilizes that social media to spread a coupon (by for instance "liking" a vendor on facebook), it's still compensation.

Motivation provides context for the review, but if the motivation is compensation, it does not, automatically, invalidate the review.

Also, I find your use of the word bribe inaccurate to say the least. I'm a professional too. If I see a professional practice that I don't approve of, but yet is legal...I just refrain from comment and practicing it myself. I don't denigrate the professionals who use that practice.

Edit: I have many times seen forum reviews/feedback for a product/company based on things like: free shipping, free repair, free replacement of products. So that's compensation as well, but for me (as the review audience) I consider it to be a testament to that companies customer service. So where do you draw the line on when you "immediately invalidate" someone's feedback based on compensation?

I never claimed that social media promotions were immune to the same criticisms. There is certainly a sliding scale of ethics so I won't claim it's black and white. Offering a giveaway for all people that "like" your facebook page is somewhere in the middle where the "like" system is not disguised as an honest objective review of products and service. Most people know this and you wouldn't buy something or do business with a company just because someone on your friend list "liked" the company.

My commentary is placed directly on the keg koozy situation that came about in THIS thread. Telling someone that they will be paid $20 to post a review. Bribe may carry a negative connotation but my definition of bribe is to coerce behavior with rewards which is exactly what happened. All I did was express my distaste for it and granted, I used stronger words than necessary. I admitted that the OP very well may find the product useful but I take the review with a grain of salt nonetheless.

It's a valid criticism, but I think as a reputable Vendor you also understand that if you do great, provide a quality product, and really put your heart into it your chances of getting a review are minimal.

People only have something to say when it's negative. This is a broad summation people, I know, but all the same I deal with this daily and feel I have relevant insight.

Do I like the fact they are offering compensation for a review? I do not. If they were looking for objective reviews I have more than one qualified reviewer I would be happy to put them in touch with, but mehs don't sell inventory, so they offered compensation as a motivator.

Ultimately it's in understanding the review. Without context of motivation it can be misleading, but as many people in this thread have attested to, there's always someone willing to come along and tell you you're wrong. That's the easy review to get.

No doubt. I agree with everything you said.

Back