Creamer Faucet Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyworthy

Reaction score
How well would it work to KEG a English Pale Ale with Nitrous, but dispense with a cream faucet using CO2?

Everything I find says the nitrogen (not nitrous) will not absorb into suspension. This is why wine dispenser use nitrogen instead of CO2.

However the gas used in a Nitro system is beer gas (a blend of Nitro and CO2), and if you pressurized flat beer with it the CO2 will absorb, leaving behind the nitrogen.

Why would you want to do this? Dispensing with nitrogen through the right faucet will make the beer creamy and it is fine for an assortment of beers.

Keg it with CO2 and then dispense with beer gas.

FYI nitrogen is not the same as nitrous.

If you want the creamy head but don't have a stout faucet, just carb to a relatively low level then serve using your creamer faucet. In a stout faucet/beergas setup, the nitrogen is only there to provide extra force to push the beer at relatively high pressure through a restrictor plate. It doesn't absorb into the beer. If you use CO2 to provide that force, the beer would overcarb, hence the nitrogen. So kegging with beergas or N2 then pushing with CO2 would simply dilute the headspace with nitrogen after a few pours.

ok, let me modify the question. I want to dispense a English Pale Ale (and like the idea of it being 'creamy'). But I am not going to spend all the money for a N2 mix dispenser and special faucet. Can I get a similar effect from my creamer faucet without having to resort to the N2 dispenser?

I THINK the answer was, yes, but set the pressure in the keg lower?

I have no personal experience with those faucets, but yes, that's my understanding. You'd probably want to serve the EPA on the warmer side as well. I've also heard that others rather successfully use a syringe to agitate the beer at the top of the glass and simulate the nitro pour...

Back