Pittsburgh/Western PA Group Buy #5

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm bringing my "Mother Hubbard" pumpkin ale to the pickup! It's made using hubbard squash instead of pumpkin.

Hubbard squash in the picture below:
hubbard+squash.jpg

Mmmm...Dunkel. Very oddly but nicely timed. I've had the hankering for a nice, smooth dunkel rolling around in the back of my head for the last two weeks.

Payed for the small buy with Paypal. Thanks Kyle.

Well organized and quick pickup! Thank you for all the hard work that made this possible.

Kyle for President! Thanks for everything dude. See u next buy.

Thank you Kyle. It was great to meet you and all the other local brewers. It was great experience and the beer was fantastic!

yep, thanks Kyle and Josh. I appreciate the effort. The tasting party was fun too.

Hunk/Mark - thanks for bringing your scales! Josh and Coyote - thanks for your help as always, and for the great beer (especially the SWMBO GOOJF beers. Argyle - thanks for being so patient (first guy there, 10th person to get his stuff - I think he was amused by the organized chaos)! I heard your squash beer was awesome.

Thanks for everyone else for coming, getting involved, and generally being cool.

I'm going to shoot for July/August for the next pickup (May - July is insane for me), but we're looking into squeezing another one in earlier.

Finally, special thanks to Store Express Southside for putting up with us on College Move-out day (I'll plan that one better next time), and The Brew House Association for hosting.
http://www.storexpressselfstorage.com/self-storage-locations/southside-pittsburgh-self-storage.php
https://www.facebook.com/TheBrewHousePittsburgh?ref=hl

And speaking of The Brew House Association, they're looking to do a local craft/art event in September and want to know if folks want to get involved. Format is up to us as long as it doesn't take away from the other local artists. I'll start another thread for this in the next week or so.

Just wanted to express my thanks! Looking forward to the next one. I hope I can stay for socialization and tastings next time.

If you guys are already out of grains I'm impressed! Or maybe I just bought too much. LOL

If you guys are already out of grains I'm impressed! Or maybe I just bought too much. LOL

You can never buy too much. I always buy more than I think I'll need to last me to the next buy. I have a feeling that a lot of people don't buy enough.

I should have enough grain for 2 more batches so an early Aug pickup would be ideal for me! Thanks!

I know this has nothing to do with the group buy but I figured it was the easiest way to communicate with locals. If any of you are hop heads and have been itching to try a certain silver canned beer that is extremely hard to get outside of a state NE of us then hit up House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington. I bought a few cans there today! Yes its pricey but cheaper than driving ~600 miles to the brewery.

TNTgill said:
I know this has nothing to do with the group buy but I figured it was the easiest way to communicate with locals. If any of you are hop heads and have been itching to try a certain silver canned beer that is extremely hard to get outside of a state NE of us then hit up House of 1000 Beers in New Kensington. I bought a few cans there today! Yes its pricey but cheaper than driving ~600 miles to the brewery.

Will probably be too late (and not close enough) but my middle brother' 30th is mid August in southern MA - if I see some I'll bring it back.

do they still have this in???? i was there about 3 weeks ago and they mentioned they were getting the heady "next week". i'll go asap if it's still there. you know what, i'll call...

Still had quite a few cans yesterday. I bought 2 more. It's 10 bucks a can so quite pricey but I am not going to Vermont anytime in the foreseeable future so it was worth it for me. I picked up the 2 extra for a buddy in Chicago and he's gonna send some 3 Floyds this way.

No prob. Glad others were able to get a few as well. They must be going fast. When I first posted there was at least 2 or 3 cases on the shelf or in the cooler in multiple places.

I hadn't heard anything about MoreBeer until that post. It sounds promising. Ambridge is not exactly convenient to me but I'm hoping this means you can pick-up outsized equipment (large fermenters, etc.) with zero shipping charges.

I picked up one can of HT when I was up there. I traded it for some west coast stuff, mostly Anchorage and one PtE. $10 is nuts. I'm sure I'd be disappointed.

Ive ordered from Morebeer alot in the past. Their prices are pretty good on grain, Ok on hops. Ive only ordered 10lb bags as the 50lb dont qualify for supersave shipping, 2row and wheat are cheaper than the local alternatives. Pils and maris otter are about the same price. Their bulk price for 2 row is $36, great price.

I've ordered from more beer a decent amount - ended up going with northern brewer more often when I needed specialty stuff (their hops and grain selection tends to be a little small). The equipment thing is huge though. Around Christmas they do the 12 days of more beer, knocking off a ton on sculptures, fermenters, etc. shipping is always prohibitive. However , if I can bribe a few friends to help me pick something up ...

For some of the other equipment, I've found south hills to be equal or cheaper, and they're a heck of a lot closer.

Will be interesting to see how their prices compare to the group buy prices on grain.

Will be interesting to see how their prices compare to the group buy prices on grain.

That's what I was thinking. I passed on the last group buy because I still had 6 sacks. What was an average price for a sack of 2 row then? Joyceman said Morebeer is listing it at $36. Is that comparable?

I paid around 33 I think. I guess the question of the day is if morebeer will have some sort of retail presence or if it will be just a distro center that no one can pickup from.

I emailed Morebeer yesterday and asked if it was going to be a retail front with customer pickup or a shipping only facility. The response was that it would be a shipping only facility but may include customer pickup. Details including address & date will follow via a newsletter.

The reps at NHC said they hope to do retail at a future date, but nothing is firm at this time

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back