Anyone make instant soda with ICI Soda Siphon?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheKeggingPart

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I'm doing some research for an article I'm writing on making small batches of soda. 600 mL small. I have found that The Kegging Part gas-side can fit directly on to the ICI Soda Siphons (these guys: http://www.isi-store.com/product_detail.asp?T1=ISI+2248&.), eliminating the need to keep using those little 8gm cartridges. It does require a soda regulator pushing 60-100 PSI in order to really carbonate, but I digress.. The article will be posted on my website, but it's going to be in the same spirit as the other article I've written (see below). Think of it more as a general how-to than a hard-sell to drive people to buy my product. All contributors will be acknowledged at the end of the article.

I'm asking you to share any experience you've had with particular mixes, how long it stays 'fresh', using the soda extracts vs making your own, etc. Do you use this ICI setup? A soda stream? Make small bottled batches with yeast? Large ones? Do you have a completely different approach that I've overlooked. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Cheers!

I've done quite a bit of experimenting and have found that making soda in ANY siphon is foolish. Because of the sugar I ended up with a glass of foam every time. I've had far greater success sticking to making seltzer in the siphon and then adding it to mixes. One of my favorite is a refreshing cherry soda I make in a 750 mL wine bottle.

Cheery Soda:
1/2 cup sour cherry syrup (I prefer Marco Polo brand from my local Armenian market)
1/4 c lemon (or lime) juice
top up with seltzer.

Seal with an expansion stopper (they can hold a little pressure) and shake. I like to put it in the fridge for an hour or so to give the CO2 time to return to solution.

Can also substitute a variety of fruit juices, such as blueberry, raspberry, or pomegranate. I've also used up some margarita mix instead of the lemon juice. Sweeter & not as tart, but gets it done.

Dear, from what I have experienced, the syrup doesn't last long enough to go bad in my house. The one that has lasted over 6 months was stored in the fridge the entire time. But I can share our root beer recipe that has made a hit here:

RIP Root Beer (A root beer you will die for)
2 1/2 cups table sugar
1/2 cup Splenda (or other artificial sugar)
3 cups water
1 1/2 teaspoons Cream of Tartar
2 teaspoons Root Beer Extract (McCormick- found in most grocery stores)

Mix all but the extract in a pan on the stove, heating it until everything is blended and syrup is clear. Let cool (don't want to melt the bottle). Grab a 32 ounce bottle and pour the extract in there, then add the cool syrup. Lightly shake to mix.

Use:
Place about 2 ounces syrup in a 12-16 ounce glass, add carbonated water and ice, if desired. Lightly stir. Then sit back and enjoy.

We do store the syrup in the fridge, but it goes so fast here, it probably will stand sitting on the counter.
HTH-- Cheers!!

Back