Best Sanitizer For Keg & Bottle Washing Systems (Like Mark's Keg Washer)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

funtourist

Reaction score
Please tell us your experiences with different sanitizers you use in keg and bottle sanitizing when using an automatic pump based system.

I use iodophor since the 1990's. I feel it's safe in the right ppm's. When I use Mark's Keg Washer, after maybe 5-10 minutes of recirculating, the color of solution goes from amber to a very pale yellow.

It seems the iodine is evaporating out of solution due to the vigorous action of the recirculation and pump.

In the past, I have either re-made the 1 gallon of solution or have just added some more iodophor until the color is amber.

Of concern is using too much iodophor - when I add more into the solution to get the color back to amber. Also, if the solution turns pale yellow, is it no longer effective.

Is there a better sanitizer or technique of using this keg washer. I.E. - Iodophor is ok but only recirc for 5 minutes, not any more than that.

All feedback is appreciated.

For cleaning, PBW jumps out at me as the likely choice. For a no-rinse sanitization Star-San is great but the recirc may foam up pretty heavily.

I'm a former iodophor user as well (since 1991) but I'm beginning to like these new-fangled products. :)

The makers of Star San (Five Star Chemicals) also makes Five Star Saniclean which is a low foam acid an anionic rinse for brewing and food applications. It works great with the Mark's II Kegwasher.

Back