Stopping a hop bine from getting any longer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

scottyg354

Plant Based Homebrewer
Reaction score
If I snip off the tip will it stop growing but still produce cones? I have an 8' trellis and my bones are already at 9'. I need to prevent further growth

I don't know anything about plants, or growing anything at all, but could you turn it around and point it to grow back down toward the ground?

My hops last year stopped at the top of my twine and filled out after that. I say let those bad boys rock on.

I let mine grow long and than let it hang down and wrap it back around the original bine. It starts back up again.

If it's like most plants, you can indeed cut the shoot tips (Apical meristems) to stop vertical growth. Generally when the shoot tips are cut, the hormones there migrate to other lateral growth tips. If you've acheived the size you are looking for, pinch or cut the main tips and it will bush out but not grow up.

Vining plants can be a lil different. Like pole beans,you snip the tip of the vine,& it grows another vine out of the crown. Should be the same here.

Back