Hop Addition

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDFH

Reaction score
Brewed a few batches currently on a pale ale with a projected 150 IBU just curious about the additions of the hops at 10 min intervals for 40 mins during boil. I would assume oils get released and such but how would it have been if I just added all of the hops at the beginning of the boil?

Bitter as hell ! 150 is is high even for a standard IPA .
Early additions are your bittering addition ( 60 min.)
Mid (20 min.or so ) flavor .
Late ( 5 min - dry hop) aroma generally speaking. The min. are counted as time in the boil.

Welcome and happy brewing !

Bitter is the girlfriends thing she actually picked it out. But the recipie calls for the additions during the boil and it also wants me to add more during fermentation at 3 day intervals. When everything is done its gonna be 8 grams of hops. Projected abv 7.5 so I'm hoping it levels out in the end.

I just bottled an IPA that I did three 1 oz. dry hop additions to at 3 days each . It turned out great ! What hops are you using ? If bitter is her thing and your brewing a beer to fit her taste I would find a good base recipe and brew it repeatedly with various hop additions always keeping good notes. When you make the beer she likes you will know a lot about hop utilization . There is no education like experience ! Denny's Rye IPA recipe ( now very famous ) was brewed over and over to suit his wife's taste .

Happy brewing !

Back