Cleaning Ball Valve

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

arborman

Reaction score
Is it necessary to remove and clean the ball valve on the kettle on a regular basis? I was under the impression that it was not needed.... I usually just fill up the kettle with PBW post boil, let it soak, and drain thru the ball valve. I figured that did a good enough job. But, now I am second guessing that and was wondering if you all routinely dismantle and clean your kettle ball valves.

I'm guessing the valve gets hot enough to kill any nasties. If you recirculate your boiling wort for a bit, that also will help kill the bad stuff.

I personally wouldn't sweat it.

Is it necessary to remove and clean the ball valve on the kettle on a regular basis? I was under the impression that it was not needed.... I usually just fill up the kettle with PBW post boil, let it soak, and drain thru the ball valve. I figured that did a good enough job. But, now I am second guessing that and was wondering if you all routinely dismantle and clean your kettle ball valves.

I six years as a brewer I have never paid particular attention to my hot side ball valves.

That said, on the post brew day cold side, I have been known to run sanitation products through the valves fully open, a bit less open, somewhat open then closed. I know how the valve operates therefore thought that a step cleaning process may be of some value. Especially on the cold side of my brewery.

Back