So what do i do with this

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

benzy4010

Reaction score
image-3411058516.jpg

Chop it up and throw it in the boil! Raw hop flavor!

I kid, I kid!

Looks like a hop rhizome to me. Plant that thing in the ground and enjoy homegrown, fresh, whole hops in about a year or so!

Now, it's not just as easy as that, so do some research on planting and maintaining hop rhizomes. You'll definitely need a way to support the bines.

I have two plants growing but I bought them as plants I just never planted a rhizome before so not sure how to yet.

2" deep in rich, sandy soil. You can start in a pot, when they've grown strong vines you can carefully remove root ball / plant and replant in the ground.

So the whole thing is a root then and I'll just put it in a big pot about how deep?

Cyclman said:
2" deep in rich, sandy soil. You can start in a pot, when they've grown strong vines you can carefully remove root ball / plant and replant in the ground.

^ This

Planted here goes nothing. I guess I should take pics ofnthenother two plants. One is a chinook and the other hallertauer german but I can't remember which is which. Wasn't planning g on growing hops but these were free so I decided y not try it out. Just gotta figure out a support system for them. Think I'm gonna plant 4 types. I now have the cascade planted. I like IPA and brown ales so I'm debating which one to get

Just make sure you've got plenty of space between varieties (especially higher and lower AA varieties). I'm starting year #3 and all of mine branched off this spring so I have 8 instead of 4 :-D Next year I may have to sell rhizomes (or brew more often).

Back