Hopping for aged beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mruggee

Reaction score
I am looking to brew a holiday ale with many dark malts. I am planning on aging so the tannis has some time to calm down. Should i increase the ibu to account for the aging. If so is there a tool/ calculator someone could guide me to?

The IBUs won't change with aging- how bitter the beer is, what changes with aging is that flavor and aroma of the hops will dissipate over time. You still balance IBUS for Sweetness of the overall beer.

No there's really no calculator for something like this.

If you're making a big beer for aging purpose, then go mad with the aroma and flavor additions, just over load them load them, so that as the beer ages and they fade, you still might get some.

Also how are you aging this? Are you bulk aging it? If so, and you want some aroma...also overload the dryhopping of it before you ultimately bottle. The last week before you plan on bottling, add a large dry hop addition (use a nylon bag to you don't have to rack a huge mess of hops.)

I am debating between just leaving it in the secondary for a few months or bottling it. Thanks for the feedback

The IBUs won't change with aging- how bitter the beer is.

The IBU's may not change but the perceived sweetness does. Depending on the time frame you may want to over hop the beer. This all trial and error though, like revvy said there's no good calculation for it. It might not matter to you or you might not even taste it.

As far as aroma hoping, I would suggest if possible, bulk aging the beer and dry hopping it 3-4 days prior to bottling. Fortunately/unfortunately all beers flavor changes with time and it needs to be accounted for, and aromas are the first thing to go.

If your worried about tannins, use a 6 row malt for the base and make sure lots or air is incorporated at mash in, as well as a proper pH (around 5.3). This will add a slight red color, but the tannins will precipitate out with proteins in the 6-row, if your using dark malts who cares about color.

(As far as the IBU comment I think it does fall slightly over long periods (6+ months) but I can't find the info to back that up)

Back