Phenolic Wee Heavy getting better?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmikebrews

Reaction score
Hey all, I brewed a partial mash wee heavy 10 weeks ago and it developed phenolic flavors. I'm not a novice homebrewer but by no means a veteran- I've brewed 15 or so batches but never encountered phenol taste. I'm wondering a couple things:

1) is phenol more common on the east coast? This was my first batch after moving from CO to NYC. Denver water can't be beat, but NYC water is highly regarded as well.

2) no carbonation for first 6 weeks in bottle. I opened one last week and it's finally building up some fizz and tasting less phenolic. Should I have hope after all?

3) does presence of phenol from fermentation restrict natural carbonation?

Thanks plenty!

1) no, every area is different. also, phenolics aren't only caused by water. what type of phenolics are you getting?

2) yes, some are just slower then others. if its only 10 weeks old, i wouldnt be drinking a wee heavy yet anyway, so you certainly have the time to spare

3) no

I can't speak to the water quality questions, but I do know that a lot of phenolic flavors can fade with some age. Some beers (particularly those of higher OG or those stored at cooler temps) can take longer to carb up.

Since you are this far in, I think your best course is to just leave the beer alone for, say, another month. Try one, see what you think, rinse, repeat.

Thank you both. I'm not sure which phenol compounds are present, but it's medicinal/robotussin like. Perhaps I sparged too hot or pitched my dry yeast in too hot of water. Is it dangerous to drink phenolic beer?

if its medicinal then you likely either have chlorine/chloramines in your water or an infection. its not dangerous to drink either way

if its medicinal then you likely either have choline/chloramines in your water or an infection.

I've never experienced phenolic flavors improving.

If it's from an infection, it may get worse (think "band-aid beer :mad:) but if it's chlorophenols from chlorine in the brewing water it won't get better or worse.

My reasoning is that if the OP is observing the off flavors being better today than they were originally, there is nothing to be lost by seeing what some time can do to help. If these flavors never change, then why has he observed changes?

Latest posts

Back