Using MBasics 25% Apple Juice

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mskrdunn

Reaction score
Hey there! So this is my first time brewing anything besides in my Microbial Ecology class. I'm not close to any brewing stores while at school, but I was so excited to try making hard cider that I just went and got the most basic stuff you can get (bread yeast, brown sugar, balloons, a bottle of Juicy Juice, and a bottle of MBasics apple juice). Well, the Juicy Juice, from what I can tell, is working marvelously. There seems to be more gas than the balloon can handle, but the MBasic apple juice is barely doing anything. I realized that it is only 25% juice (Juicy Juice is 100%). Is this a problem? Please excuse my ignorance for stuff like this.

I'm not familiar with that brand, but check to see if it contains preservatives. That could be the reason it's lagging behind.

Thanks for getting back to me, Pickled Pepper! I don't believe it has any preservatives, but I could be wrong. It does not contain sodium benzonate or potassium sorbate, but here is the list of ingredients: water, high fructose corn syrup, apple juice concentrate, malic acid, natural flavors, ascorbic acid (Vitamin C), caramel color. Yeah, I'm not sure what I did wrong on this one, but at least the Juicy Juice is working like a charm.

Should be fermenting. Nothing in there should be an issue. HFCS has been known to produce some funky flavors, but it should ferment regardless. Hopefully it will take off soon.

"Natural flavors" is also suspect. The FDA is pretty lax on what they consider "natural" these days.

Yeah, I guess I will just give it more time then, but thank-you for your help!

Latest posts

Back