Moving yeast starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

giddyup

Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm new to home brewing but have been lurking the forums for a while. My question is this: I started a yeast starter with Wyeast 1056 American Ale, 650ml of water and 1/2 cup of DME in a 1L flask on a stir plate (lowest setting). The problem came about 5 hours later when the yeast had pushed the foam stopper out of the flask. I quickly sanitized a 2L flask and foam stopper and transferred the starter wort/yeast. My question is did I ruin the starter? It still seems to be bubbling and happy. But it's easy enough to start over again now knowing how eager this yeast is. Thoughts?

giddyup said:
Hi all,

I'm new to home brewing but have been lurking the forums for a while. My question is this: I started a yeast starter with Wyeast 1056 American Ale, 650ml of water and 1/2 cup of DME in a 1L flask on a stir plate (lowest setting). The problem came about 5 hours later when the yeast had pushed the foam stopper out of the flask. I quickly sanitized a 2L flask and foam stopper and transferred the starter wort/yeast. My question is did I ruin the starter? It still seems to be bubbling and happy. But it's easy enough to start over again now knowing how eager this yeast is. Thoughts?

As long as you sanitized everything the liquid touched along the way you are fine. Get some fermcap defoamer (or similar). Just a drop or two will keep the starter from foaming up like that.

Thanks for the reply. I have some fermcap but as this will only be my second batch I hadn't even thought to use it in my starter. I just spent an hour reading about the back and forth about using/not using fermcap-like products.

Back