Lagered at 30 degrees. Add more yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WildTex

Reaction score
For my first all grain lager, I made a bavarian bock. Using John Palmers "country bock" recipe.
Was in primary for two weeks at 50.
Then racked and lagered one month at 36 degrees, then dropped it to 30 degrees for a week now, in hopes to eliminate any chance of chill haze and help clarify.

My question is: are my yeast healthy after 30 deg temps?
Do I need to add more yeast at bottling?

Thanks in advance guys!

For my first all grain lager, I made a bavarian bock. Using John Palmers "country bock" recipe.
Was in primary for two weeks at 50.
Then racked and lagered one month at 36 degrees, then dropped it to 30 degrees for a week now, in hopes to eliminate any chance of chill haze and help clarify.

My question is: are my yeast healthy after 30 deg temps?
Do I need to add more yeast at bottling?

Thanks in advance guys!

I'm not sure about lager yeast but most yeast are fine in cold temps (not frozen), they just go to sleep. Unless you freeze the yeast, then maybe you'll have to add more.

Your yeast are fine, just asleep. You can just drag your racking cane through the yeast cake to make sure you've got a little in there- no problem.

Back