Temperatures

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

troy294

Reaction score
I am doing my first brew of a coopers Canadian blonde and trying to keep my temp down about 20 degrees Celsius but find it hard . Anyone got any ideas on keeping my temps down ???

Good for you. You're asking one of the most important questions in brewing.

The more primitive methods include:

- putting the fermenter in a large tub with water and some frozen plastic water bottles to cool it. You'll have to change out the bottles periodically and monitor the water temp.

- Making a "swamp cooler" (tub, water, t-shirt and fan) which uses evaporative cooling. The drier your climate, the better this works.

The sophisticated approach is to buy a used fridge or freezer, add an STC-1000 digital controller and set whatever temperature you like. I use this method and love it.

BTW, 20*C (beer temp, not air temp) is the highest temp I use to ferment ales and that's only at the very end of the process when I've warmed it up a bit to allow the yeast to better clean up after themselves.

Yeah I have been told to ferment around 25 celcius then after a few days get it down to 18 . I hear soooooo many and have read so many different temperature I really don't know what to follow lol

I have a tub of water in front of my brew with a damp towel over it with one end of the towel in the water for the evaporation method to work but doesn't seem to cool much . So in your opinion . For larger and ale etc what so u recommend to have it ferment at

look up swamp coolers....they are perfect and easy to do.

Just sent the carboy in that with water on the bottom and use small bottles of frozen water to keep the temp down. I'll try to post a pic if i have one of mine.

sorry, typo...set the carboy in.

this isn't mine, but pretty close to what i do

swamp-cooler-top.jpg

Yeah I have been told to ferment around 25 celcius then after a few days get it down to 18 . I hear soooooo many and have read so many different temperature I really don't know what to follow lol

25*C is way too hot, especially for the first few days when the yeast are multiplying like crazy and eating lots of sugars. You'll end up with nasty off-flavors and fusel alcohols. Who wants to drink bad tasting beer that will give you a headache? That's also the time when the ferment generates the most heat. Whoever told you that either has no clue about making good beer or doesn't like you and wants you to mess up your ale.

Pitch/start it at 18*C (wort temp, not air), keep it there for the first week and then let it come up to 20*C to finish. You'll have a nice, enjoyable product.

I have a buddy that uses the styrofoam coolers to swamp cooler in, and it helps hold his temps pretty good. I've done swamp coolers, a dedicated fridge and am now going to try the cool brewing ferm bag. No mess with a swamp cooler and it has great reviews.

Would this work . Where I live the average daily temp outside is about 30 degrees celcius .
What about if I get a tub big enough to put fermenter in then quarter full it up with water . That way it's sitting in water . But in saying that won't that produce uneven temp ??? The bottom been slightly cooler then top

Would this work . Where I live the average daily temp outside is about 30 degrees celcius .
What about if I get a tub big enough to put fermenter in then quarter full it up with water . That way it's sitting in water . But in saying that won't that produce uneven temp ??? The bottom been slightly cooler then top

No really as much as you might think. When the ferment is at its peak, it'll be naturally churning around a bit. I'd still try to get the level of the cool water up around the fermenter as high as you possibly can though.

This is all helpful, but i am setting up for a batch atm and it is around 21 celcius outside. Is that alright?

This is all helpful, but i am setting up for a batch atm and it is around 21 celcius outside. Is that alright?

Not really as fermentation is an exothermic reaction so it produces heat. You beer would ferment even higher than the ambient temp and give off flavors.

It's all about learning . On the instructions for coopers it says add your sugar or dextrose then the syrup then add two liters or hot water followed by 23l cool water and with that said . Once that's done it's up around nearly 30 degrees celcius .
So I have worked out the instructions r bull s¥it .
So what do u guys suggest is beat way ????

Back