Added my mr. beer booster day after initial start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

akatrouble

Reaction score
Hello, I recieved two Mr. Brew kits from a cousin with 3 batches and a set of instructions. The starters were the American series and came with: 3 cans starter w/ yeast under the lids, 3 sanitizer solutions and 3 alchohol/body boosters. The instructions had me fill the mr. brew w/ about a gallon of H2O and pour half sanitizer, sanitize a utensils used and plate to put them on, which i did wilst heating 4 cups water and soaking cans in hot water. after 10 minutes of soaking I drained mr. brews and put utensils on plate and when water was boiling added the wort syrup (after turning stove top off) stirred until mixed then added to mr brew container (with 1 gal cool H20 already in it) mixed then finished filling to specified mark (2.1 i think it was) then waited five to ten minutes and sprinkled in yeast, stirred again and then put lid on.
O.K. all of that I am comfortable with and feel i did correctly and with no concerns. But later that night I got to reading online about a feller that said to mix the booster kit in during the wort syrup stage. The directions I had said nothing about using a alchohol/body booster, but did say that after fermenting to use sugar whilst botteling. I had thought the booster kits were a special sugar to be used while botteling but now see they weren't. So about 18 hours after initial closing of lids I sterelized a spoon, took off the lids and added a booster to each container and stirred and put the lids back on. I have read in many places not to ever open the lid during fermentation ever ever ever. Did I mess up? Thank you.

You should be OK, may have oxidized a bit stirring but you'll still get beer. Infection from opening it up during fermentation isn't too big of a deal, especially as you sanitized everything.

thanks stevo
, after reading around I think I will start shopping for a more better settup for homebrewing, while waiting for my first ever batch to ferment.

You should be fine.......Just be sure to keep them cool, laying those little kegs in a large tray with ice helps. Shoot for a temperature of 65-70.........

Back