How do you cut Polycarbonate tubing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DPBISME

Reaction score
My sight-glasses on the Keggles are to tall.

I snapped on off moving it, luck for me it was at the base so I was able to salvage it.

I now have a jagged point on my sight glass on one Keggle and the other goes over the top.

I want to "clean-up" on and shorten the other.

I am wondering what tools I need?

Hacksaw, hot-knife, razor?

I've done it a couple ways. If you use hacksaw, make sure you flip it over half way through and start from the other side to finished the cut. Otherwise it'll break off and leave a jagged edge.

You can clean up the edges with a little sandpaper.

For the cleanest cut, I've had god luck with a dremel with a cutting wheel.

Band saw?
Compound Miter Saw?
Pipe Cutter?

They all work. Just take your time. Let the saw do the work and don't force the cut.

The same pipe cutter you'd use on a copper pipe works just fine. Just remember to take your time and only tighten it a little each spin around.

Once you've cut, take a lighter to the end to "round it off".

IMG_20130407_170717.jpg

Good to know, mine also just pass the top of my keggles, next brew day they might be a little shorter.

That is how I snapped it off...

I store them outside under the porch...upside down.

I grabbed it when I was tired and the S-gklass caught and snapped right off...

I know what you mean. I try to be very carefull with mine when they are upside down and to tell you the truth I think the only reason I haven't snapped one off yet is due to the eye bolts I installed at the top. Still I would feel better if they were just a touch shorter.

A pipe cutter is what at least one of the vendors on here (Bobby_m I think?) sells for trimming their sight glasses.

I used a fine toothed hack saw blade for mine. Took all of 30 seconds to do.

Back