done fermenting now what

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JffBonesteel

Reaction score
I have a cider that was made 6 months ago. Ideally I would like to keg and then bottle from that. I do not have a way to keep it cool as it carbs in keg so I am going to bottle. I read that bottling with a yeast addition is not neccasary . That is hard to believe as I have done this with beer that's sat for a year and it worked well. Is cider different? If do not add yeast and doesn't carbonate after a month. You think that it could eventually carbonate someday because I would like to age it as well. I just want my first cider to turn out ok.

If I do bottle I was thinking of pastureizing to keep the level of co2 at a desired level.
Is. That a good idea?
Thanks

If you are force carbing in your keg, there's no need to add yeast, priming sugar or even pasteurize. Just carb it to the level you want and then bottle from the keg. I assume it's a dry cider.

Am I missing a step in there somewhere? or are you wanting it to keg naturally (with yeast and sugar) in the keg instead of using CO2?

I would like to use co2 but I can't keep it at a cooler temp when doing so. Therefore I am just going to bottle without kegging. That where the question of using yeast comes in play.

There will be enough viable residual yeast to bottle it without adding any more. Just need to add the appropriate amount of priming sugar before you do this (just like beer). No need to pasteurize unless you are backsweetening. If you use the right amount of priming sugar, it should only carb to the desired level then stop.

+1 to BlackGoat for priming as normal.

I've never force carb'd at ambient temps, but I can't imagine why you couldn't do it. It will take longer to carbonate at 65ºF than it would at 35ºF, but it would eventually get there. If you consider that bottle priming might take 2-3 weeks, then carbing at 65ºF can't be too much different.

Back