First all grain brew day and hops planting.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBOGAN

Reaction score
Saturday I brewed my first all grain brew and thing went awesome.Decided to fly sparge and I hit all my numbers and water calculations,had a nice slow 45 min sparge witout sticking.Had a nice stovetop boil to the brim in my 32 quart pot and got ready to cool the wort.
May have went overboard deciding to do my first all grain and the first time using a carboy as primary.Number one I did not use bags for the hops number two I cooled down to an extract temp for water top off.My funnel filter kept clogging and when I got the most wort I could into the carboy I topped off wth a gallon of water.Made the 5.25 I wanted but the temp was at 80 degrees F.Got the wort in a swamp cooler to get down to 70 before I pitched my yeast.

Now my Belgian IPA is fermenting away in beast mode(belgian adrennes 3522) at 68 degrees F and I just potted my hops rhizomes indoors next to my hot peppers..Crazy but fun two days.

Just checked gravity on my BIPA to dryhop and hit my FG dead on.Love Wyeast 3522 and the nice balance in flavor.My hops rhizomes have all sprouted indoors and are growing to fast..Looks like they will acclimate the same time as my peppers.Excuse me while I go knock on wood and do some other nonsense to keep this good fortune going.

I'm going to be planting my rhizomes tomorrow. How much soil, what size pot, and so on? I'm not particularly botanically-inclined, and I just spent $8 on stuff from Vojvodina. I bought them, just because they're called Vojvodina. I had to explain to the LHBS guys that Vojvodina is an autonomous state that comprises much of northern Serbia, and that makes me feel...smart, yet, at the same time, smug...

24" dia/4 to 5 gallon pot.
Measure by cubic yard(i used some soil from a raised bed )
If you do not have a green thumb that is okay.IMO a chimp could get these to grow.

How cold are your night time temps?If you are 40f and above i would just plant them outdoors.If you start indoors make sure your soil is sterile and get yourself some clamp lights or put them in a southern exposure window.When buying soil from any source it could have tons of pest eggs inside and you do not want them in your house...The only reason mine are in pots is to start them.i have drainage holes in the bottom and when i plant outside i will drill more in the sides of the pots and give them their own raised beds.If i ever move i just need to pull the pots from the soil.

Back