Adjusting efficiency

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jaydog2314

Reaction score
so my last AG brew (my 2nd) came in at 65%, not sure about the 1st one b/c I made a mistake and can't know for sure efficiency. So my question is if I am formulating a recipe on Beersmith do I build it around 65% efficiency or start at the default 72 and prepare to have DME on hand for adjustments? I obviously don't have enough AG brews under my belt on my equipment to have it dialed in yet but wasn't how one starts untils I get that efficiency # dialed in. thanks

jaydog2314 said:
so my last AG brew (my 2nd) came in at 65%, not sure about the 1st one b/c I made a mistake and can't know for sure efficiency. So my question is if I am formulating a recipe on Beersmith do I build it around 65% efficiency or start at the default 72 and prepare to have DME on hand for adjustments? I obviously don't have enough AG brews under my belt on my equipment to have it dialed in yet but wasn't how one starts untils I get that efficiency # dialed in. thanks

If you know your ingredients and procedures will be similar enough to get the same efficiency adjust BrewSmith to calculate for this efficiency. If you know there is something about either that pulled your numbers down then see if you can correct to pull your efficiency up.

One of the easiest things to do is adjust the crush of your grains. If you don't have a mill and let the LHBS crush them, you can try having them run them through the mill a second time.

Thanks. I do think the crush was the issue bc i know i nailed my mash temps. My last batch had a pound I had to crush at home bc i forgot to add them to the bucket before heading to the LHBS to crush the batch. And I don't have a mill so i had to use a rolling pin, not very effective!

You can also adjust the pH of your water, but you can add this to your brewing procedures later.

Back