Beer and Ethics

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SeraphX117

Reaction score
Recently I made a batch of brew that had a strong DMS taste to it. I mean it tasted like straight corn on the cob. It doesn't taste terrible, assuming you like corn. Would it be wrong to tell my less informed friends that I made "corn beer" on purpose so that I can get rid of it quicker? Or should I tell them what they are really tasting and hope it doesn't turn them off to it?

Feel free to chime in with any moral home-brewing decisions you have had to make.

Even Tizwin (pronounced tizween) doesn't taste like the corn it's made out of. Idk if I'd serve it. You hate to toss beer,but sometimes...well...:(

You don't have to lie. Just offer one up and see if they like it. If they do, give them more. If they don't, ask them why. If they say "it tastes like corn" tell them it was a natural part of the brewing process, something you might try to de-emphasize next time.

Last edited by a moderator:
It's just maris otter and honey malt, but it really does taste like good sweet corn. I don't mind drinking it, but I wouldn't mind some help!

The dms flavor is there because I tried using a new pot, which is much thicker than the one I normally use, and my electric stove couldn't get it to a nice rapid boil like my old pot gets.

I've got a blue moon.clone that the temps dipped too low during fermentation giving some funky off flavors, it makes a crappy blue moon, but when I tell people it's a Sasion they love it :)

You don't have to lie. Just offer one up and see if they like it. If they do, give them more. If they don't, ask them why. If they say "it tastes like corn" tell them it was a natural part of the brewing process, something you might try to de-emphasize next time.

I agree taste testers are needed! What is the ABV maybe a impromptu party is in order...

Back