Noob questions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Oldnastingham

Reaction score
My first batch of cider is fermenting nicely for 2 days now. My question is what is "cold crashing"? I want to put this batch into a corny keg and have a kegerator and all the trimmings. I like bubbles and would like to force carb it if it is at all possible but from what I'm reading it may or may not be a super complicated process. Let the gurus reply and many advance thanks.

Right now the only thing in the fermenter is juice and Wyeast direct pitch 4766

Use the search ability on this site before you ask "stupid questions" many people before you asked both those questions and received great answers. Plus searching will also lead you to other answers to questions that you might have but didn't ask.

Use the search ability on this site before you ask "stupid questions" many people before you asked both those questions and received great answers. Plus searching will also lead you to other answers to questions that you might have but didn't ask.

That's not the right attitude friend.

OP, 'coldcrashing' is when cider is rapidly chilled to halt fermentation activity. It is used before bottling to help clear cider since yeast activity keeps particles mixed up in solution, as post-bottling well has to help preserve sugars and prevent bottle bombs in lieu of in bottle pasteurizing.

Doesn't work well with cold tolerant yeast strains though, as they will often keep working albeit more slowly. In your case, since you're force-carbing, consider using sulfite & sorbate to stabilize the cider if you're using such a strain.

That's not the right attitude friend.

OP, 'coldcrashing' is when cider is rapidly chilled to halt fermentation activity. It is used before bottling to help clear cider since yeast activity keeps particles mixed up in solution, as post-bottling well has to help preserve sugars and prevent bottle bombs in lieu of in bottle pasteurizing.

Doesn't work well with cold tolerant yeast strains though, as they will often keep working albeit more slowly. In your case, since you're force-carbing, consider using sulfite & sorbate to stabilize the cider if you're using such a strain.

So people should keep reposting the same questions everyday and contribute to the mass of same questions we have in this forum? I know nothing about cider so I politely directed him to the search function where he can find a wealth of information that has already been discussed. Why discuss a topic over and over again when a thread has already done that multiple times? All these threads stay on the site for a reason...

If someone has a question past searching about the same question they had, shouldn't they be asking in the threads made for Cold Crashing and Cider? And if noone answers there, then a new thread can be made. My point is why start a new thread on something when there is already hundreds of threads already on the subject. I wasn't mean to OP, I understand people who are new to the site don't realize there is a search button, so I politely let him know there is one. What is wrong with that approach?

Thanks for the clarification on the cold crash. Sorry to be a PITA, I was under the impression this was a forum for questions and answers to offer info for those of us who are here to learn. I figured I'd save some time searching the 1,000
threads. I asked a direct question and got a direct answer. Thanks again for taking the time to do that. As far as "stupid questions" go, my sincere apologies to anyone who was offended. Relax and have a homebrew!

Oldnastingham said:
Thanks for the clarification on the cold crash. Sorry to be a PITA, I was under the impression this was a forum for questions and answers to offer info for those of us who are here to learn. I figured I'd save some time searching the 1,000
threads. I asked a direct question and got a direct answer. Thanks again for taking the time to do that. As far as "stupid questions" go, my sincere apologies to anyone who was offended. Relax and have a homebrew!

Since your new to making cider let me just say don't get to excited and rush your cider or shake it to try and make more carbonation come out. The longer it sits the better it will come out. Feel free to ask any questions and I and I'm sure many others will try their best to help.

A Noob update: after spending much time researching every single thread I had time for and not wanting to "upset" all of the "serious" forum posters with my "stupid questions", this is how things turned out......my first batch of cider sat for 12 days in primary and had an FG of 1.01, I back sweetened the batch with 1/2 can of AJC and cold crashed in a corny keg with 12 psi of C02. After 4 days in the fridge it is amazing that this was such an easy process and produced a drinkable product in such a short amount of time. I have three more batches going, all with different yeasts and nutrients. Drinking your own cider rules!

Cider is fun because its so easy to make! I think more people would make beer/cider/wine if they knew its not impossible or as hard as first thought. I hate having to buy commercial beer or cider now!

Anyway- I use the ipad app for this forum and the search option on it makes me want to punch puppies!!!!

:rolleyes:

A Noob update: after spending much time researching every single thread I had time for and not wanting to "upset" all of the "serious" forum posters with my "stupid questions", this is how things turned out......my first batch of cider sat for 12 days in primary and had an FG of 1.01, I back sweetened the batch with 1/2 can of AJC and cold crashed in a corny keg with 12 psi of C02. After 4 days in the fridge it is amazing that this was such an easy process and produced a drinkable product in such a short amount of time. I have three more batches going, all with different yeasts and nutrients. Drinking your own cider rules!
:mug:Congrats now you can experiment with different fruit and juices.Personally I like blueberries and raspberries in my cider.The wife likes Strawberry and mango

Back