Queen Bee Imperial Saison

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

poptarts

Reaction score
HOME BREW RECIPE:
Title: Queen Bee Imperial Saison

Brew Method: All Grain
Style Name: Saison
Boil Time: 60 min
Batch Size: 5.5 gallons (ending kettle volume)
Boil Size: 6.5 gallons
Efficiency: 65% (ending kettle)

STATS:
Original Gravity: 1.084
Final Gravity: 1.003
ABV (standard): 10.63%
IBU (tinseth): 21.33
SRM (morey): 6.33

FERMENTABLES:
12 lb - Belgian - Pilsner (70.6%)
2 lb - American - Caramel / Crystal 10L (11.8%)
3 lb - Orange Honey (17.6%)

HOPS:
1 oz - Saaz for 60 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 3.5, IBU: 10.03)
0.5 oz - Perle for 45 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.2, IBU: 10.79)
0.5 oz - Perle for 1 min, Type: Pellet, Use: Boil (AA 8.2, IBU: 0.51)

MASH STEPS:
1) Temp: 150 F, Time: 60 min, Amount: 1.25 qt
2) Temp: 168 F, Time: 10 min, Amount: 1.25 qt

YEAST:
Wyeast - French Saison 3711
Starter: Yes
Form: Liquid
Attenuation (avg): 80%
Flocculation: Low
Optimum Temp: 65 - 77 F
Fermentation Temp: 70 F

EDIT:
Just moved this to my secondary and it is tasting amazing. Will keep updated with final results.

EDIT:
Just bottled last night, FG was 1.003 making my final ABV 10.63%. Its the clearest beer Ive ever made. Gonna have to take it easy with my "Lawnmower beer" :mug:
xGbixkl.jpg

So it's still not done fermenting, this one is going to be dry! I hope it is able to hide its alcohol content.

That's a lot of honey!

Was the FG measured or proposed? Or I suppose I should say, did you measure it when moving to secondary or is that the goal? Either way, sounds like it may end up drinking more like a dry white wine. Would go well with mussels and frites. Mmm...

I thought it was done fermenting and the FG was 1.007 but It is still bubbling super slowly. so its prolly going to be very very dry. The sample tasted fantastic so we will see.

This recipe looks amazing and I want to give it a go. I am still kind of a beginner, however, so I wanted to ask you approximately how long did you have it in the primary before moving to the secondary? Also, how much sugar did you prime with at bottling?

Thanks!

Still drinking this batch, about half left and it is aging really well. You can really taste the citrus notes form the honey. Tastes really good with a fresh lime. Doesn't really taste like a saison though, but still pretty good beer for my first all grain.

Back