Getting rdy to wire up stc1000-question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
Getting set to wire up my stc1000 temp controller to use on my fridge and was wondering if this extension cord could handle the load?

I'll be hooking it up to an extra full-size fridge I have in my garage. Going to follow a YouTube video and cut up this extension cord for the wiring.

image-378882992.jpg

How many amps does the fridge pull? Just remember that when wiring the stc you're basically wiring another wall outlet.

Thx kaboom, here's a pic of the fridge label. Looks like it pulls 4.75 amps. Will this be ok to use for continued use?

image-1832203799.jpg

I was thinking of making the paint can heater that uses a 60 watt bulb, any better ideas that wouldn't need to be put together for a heating element?

You could use one of those plant heating mats.

Either way, not a concern for 16g wire. If you were trying to run a water heater element or heat stick you might have some concerns, but a light bulb or one of those heating mats shouldn't be an issue.

normal_wirechart.jpg

Use that to figure out if it's OK. You can use a heater as long as the amperage isn't over what it's rated for. Bear in mind the heater and the fridge compressor shouldn't be on at the same time. If you need to you could always cut the extension cord shorter and wire a new plug on to make it work. Say you need to pull 12 amps you could cut the cord to 15 or 20 feet.

Edit: I forgot, you'll need to cut the female plug off anyway to wire it to the stc. If you need to cut it shorter, just make sure you cut from the female end so you can use the male end. No need to wire a new plug on.

Back