Cream Ale Fizzy Yellow Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well im just messing around till my first day off work when I'm going to brew this. I saved the fizzy yellow beer beersmith file and put all the same ingredients in as was in the original. Matched everything else the same as well. Now I see that the preboil volume differs quite a bit and noticed that yooper has unchecked the "calculate volume" box and put in her own number. Was wondering if I should go with the calculated preboil or the one yooper has punched in. Im guessing the number she typed in was because she knows her system, but this being a first brew I dont know what mine will do. Should I go with the beersmith calculated volume or the one yooper put in?

Well im just messing around till my first day off work when I'm going to brew this. I saved the fizzy yellow beer beersmith file and put all the same ingredients in as was in the original. Matched everything else the same as well. Now I see that the preboil volume differs quite a bit and noticed that yooper has unchecked the "calculate volume" box and put in her own number. Was wondering if I should go with the calculated preboil or the one yooper has punched in. Im guessing the number she typed in was because she knows her system, but this being a first brew I dont know what mine will do. Should I go with the beersmith calculated volume or the one yooper put in?

Do you have any idea what your boil-off will be? Do you have a new pot, or can you boil in it and see what you boil off in an hour?

hey thanks for the quick reply yooper, these threads must keep you busy! Ya ive got a new pot just last week, only done coopers type kits before this. Anyways ya i could fill er up and boil it for an hour, whatever that is plus the trub loss ect should be my preboil?

OK, after looking back n forth and back n forth..... I see that the extra .5 gallons comes in effect at the trub loss, with your 5.85 gallons your final bottled ammount (after trub loss) seems to be 4.5 gallons. as where if it was the calculated ammount 6.36 gallons, there would be 5 gallons after trub loss. If that aint it I dunno, boil off volume and everything else stays the same.

Not to beat a dead horse but ya thats where the volume changes, if you put trub loss to 0 then the estimated preboil is the same as what you entered. Anywho, im gunna boil off for an hour and find my boil off volume, then go from here. Is there a reason you didn't allow for trub loss in your pre boil volume? Did it end up giving you less then the five gallons all said n drank?

Not to beat a dead horse but ya thats where the volume changes, if you put trub loss to 0 then the estimated preboil is the same as what you entered. Anywho, im gunna boil off for an hour and find my boil off volume, then go from here. Is there a reason you didn't allow for trub loss in your pre boil volume? Did it end up giving you less then the five gallons all said n drank?

No. But I've had the same system for years, and I know how much I need to use for my system.

I don't usually make light hybrids, but this has been kegged for about 10 days and it's probably half gone. I can't keep away from this stuff! Made mine with Sterling hops and Cry Havoc at lager temps.

I served a pint to my brother in law last night. Told him nothing, just gave him the glass. He said, "wow, that's really good. It's like a normal beer but with better flavor." I guess he nailed the description.

Brewed up another 12 gallons of this. Great light beer for my BMC friends.

image-1655489392.jpg

Matthewjscott said:
What is the gauge on your kettle called? I want one.

Temp gauge ? It's from howegauges on eBay.
Sight gauge is from brewhardware.com

Alright I pre boiled my water to find boil off rate. 1.85g/hr. so preboil is gunna be 7.57gal. If this seems too high someone please lemme know. Start the brew at 8am tommorow woohoo.

idrinkstuffnthings said:
Alright I pre boiled my water to find boil off rate. 1.85g/hr. so preboil is gunna be 7.57gal. If this seems too high someone please lemme know. Start the brew at 8am tommorow woohoo.

I started boiling a bit harder as of late and seen mine go from 1 to 1.5. I'd go with it, more beer at a bit less ABV is worst case scenario;)

Into the boiler after I think a successful mash. One thing is I measured the prevoil SG an it's 1.022. But the recipe asks for 1.038. Is my SG supposed to be adjusted for the tempature of the water. Eg. 1.022 @ 150f = 1.038 @ 60ish. I hope so or ima be drinking fizzy yellow water.

In fermenter with a OG of 1.052. But the primary's at about 20litres. So too high boil-off number oops. Anyways thanks yooper. For first time AG it couldn't have gone smoother.

Thanks for this recipe. Was hunting for a beer to please the BMC Crowd (along side a few IPAs, an Amber, a Hefe, Cream Ale, and Cider) at my rehearsal dinner, and this'll just do the trick! Brewing this weekend or next!

I keep meaning to make something for the bmc crowd, but somehow always end up brewing stuff I want to drink. Hopefully I fix that soon.

Got 10# of Vienna, Magnum to bitter, Tett for the other and some washed White Labs Anchor Liberty WLP #051 strain (will ferment this at 60-62*).
edit: I went with WY Belgian Saison and used calypso/centennial for flavor/aroma.. this is soo not fizzy yellow beer, but my lady likes all kinds of yellow beer!

cheers!

Well, bottled it today and it was lookin yellow. I'm sure it will become fizzy. Fg at 1.010. Sample tastes awsome. For first AG I'd say its a success. Thanks Yooper.

3 fizzy yellows down. Funny enough this is about as hoppy as an ipa kit I made. Tastes great! Might need a week more to finish carbing but mmmm

I made this again but with German Ale/Kolsch yeast this time. If I enter it in competition should I go Blonde or Kolsch? It's more outta Kolsch style because of the Vienna, I'm leaning toward Blonde.

Have been following this thread for about 6 months knowing I had a party coming up with "bud" drinkers. Will Brew this this weekend. LHS only had Pearle hops so will use an oz of them. I have some old Chinook that I might use as well at flame out. I have never brewed a lite beer and this should do the trick. When it was all said and done the grain bill cost by $35 (2.95/lb). I believe in supporting your LHS but it would have been $ 18 at NB.

I made this again but with German Ale/Kolsch yeast this time. If I enter it in competition should I go Blonde or Kolsch? It's more outta Kolsch style because of the Vienna, I'm leaning toward Blonde.

Yea I would probably go blonde too

rgarry said:
Have been following this thread for about 6 months knowing I had a party coming up with "bud" drinkers. Will Brew this this weekend. LHS only had Pearle hops so will use an oz of them. I have some old Chinook that I might use as well at flame out. I have never brewed a lite beer and this should do the trick. When it was all said and done the grain bill cost by $35 (2.95/lb). I believe in supporting your LHS but it would have been $ 18 at NB.

LHS doesn't help you pay your bills, don't help them. Seriously, $35 is robbery. If you really feel bad get a sack of 2 row somewhere else and get your specialty grains from them. I'd skip the Chinook FWIW, might scare your friends!

LHS doesn't help you pay your bills, don't help them. Seriously, $35 is robbery. If you really feel bad get a sack of 2 row somewhere else and get your specialty grains from them. I'd skip the Chinook FWIW, might scare your friends!

I have some Columbus as well. Good advice on the Chinook.

rgarry said:
I believe in supporting your LHS but it would have been $ 18 at NB.

Plus what... Another $14/15 for shipping... Making a total of about nearly the same. (Assuming you aren't close enough to pick it up and have to have it shipped)

GMJager said:
Plus what... Another $14/15 for shipping... Making a total of about nearly the same. (Assuming you aren't close enough to pick it up and have to have it shipped)

So you think $2.95 a pound is ok for Pilsner or 2 Row? Sorry, no support here for price gouging.

sivdrinks said:
So you think $2.95 a pound is ok for Pilsner or 2 Row? Sorry, no support here for price gouging.

No, but if you're gonna pay the same amount for the same stuff overall, I'd say go with the LHBS, you can monitor the crush (assuming you don't have a mill), plus if you're ever in pinch, and need somethin fast, the LBHS will be there, versus just needing some yeast and a pound of something and having to pay full shipping from midwest or NB. That store won't be there if no one supports it. I don't condone price gouging and I would certainly voice that to the owner.
If I was gonna buy a 50# bag, hell no I wouldn't go to that LHBS and I'd pay the shipping from midwest/NB

GMJager said:
No, but if you're gonna pay the same amount for the same stuff overall, I'd say go with the LHBS, you can monitor the crush (assuming you don't have a mill), plus if you're ever in pinch, and need somethin fast, the LBHS will be there, versus just needing some yeast and a pound of something and having to pay full shipping from midwest or NB. That store won't be there if no one supports it. I don't condone price gouging and I would certainly voice that to the owner.
If I was gonna buy a 50# bag, hell no I wouldn't go to that LHBS and I'd pay the shipping from midwest/NB

Wasn't trying to be a dick about LHBS, just find a new one.

sivdrinks said:
Wasn't trying to be a dick about LHBS, just find a new one.

Fair enough! Now let's stop this thread hijacking, ad get back to this yellow fizzy beer!!!

GMJager said:
Fair enough! Now let's stop this thread hijacking, ad get back to this yellow fizzy beer!!!

Like! This is a simple great beer, drinking right now. I wonder what an all Vienna beer tastes like?

This was the second beer I brewed today. I had probably been drinking more than I should have when I got to the late part of the boil. I ended up forgetting the flame out hops. I think I'll add the tettnanger and 1/2 oz of cascade after fermentation is done to make up for it. We'll see how it goes.

Thoughts on using amylase enzyme in secondary like the ML clone recipe has? A lot of the replies here didn't get an FG below 1.008, do people think there is value in "drying" it up or should I just let it ride as is? I like the idea of the ML clone being so close to BMC for my "clear beer" friends but I can't bring myself to use corn in a recipe. I'm looking to be as close to BMC as you can go without filler (rice, corn) and calling it "Weed" since it seems like a gateway beer!

Thoughts on using amylase enzyme in secondary like the ML clone recipe has? A lot of the replies here didn't get an FG below 1.008, do people think there is value in "drying" it up or should I just let it ride as is? I like the idea of the ML clone being so close to BMC for my "clear beer" friends but I can't bring myself to use corn in a recipe. I'm looking to be as close to BMC as you can go without filler (rice, corn) and calling it "Weed" since it seems like a gateway beer!

Instead of using amylase in this recipe, I'd prefer using a recipe that used corn or rice in the beginning. The whole idea is to have a beer with 100% malt and the flavor behind it. To use amylase would totally make a different beer. I think it'd be better to start with the goal of a thinner beer in the beginning, instead of ruining a perfectly good beer.

Latest posts

Back