extra fridge temp control question?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Pelican521

Reaction score
I've got an extra full size fridge in my garage and was wondering if I need a temp controller and how they work or can I just adjust the temp setting inside it to get a temp I need?

If I can adjust the fridge temp with the "dial" inside it why would I need a temp control?

As you can see, I'm not too familiar with this sort of thing...

I've got an extra full size fridge in my garage and was wondering if I need a temp controller and how they work or can I just adjust the temp setting inside it to get a temp I need?

If I can adjust the fridge temp with the "dial" inside it why would I need a temp control?

Because you can't really do it accurately with the fridge thermostat. It doesn't have the temp range you'll need anyway.

Don't worry. Got ya covered. Set the fridge to its coldest setting and let the STC-1000 control the temp. The controller, outlet and box will cost you about $30 to build.

It's a set it and forget it sort of thing that will keep the temp inside your fridge or freezer right where you want it for ideal fermentation conditions. Good temp control ==> happy yeast==> tasty brew.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f51/ebay-aquarium-temp-controller-build-163849/

http://brewstands.com/fermentation-heater.html

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the info Big Floyd, not sure if it's the beer talking but it seems a bit complicated. I'll take a look with fresh eyes tomorrow, hopefully it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

What I like is that it won't alter my electrical components of the fridge (which will keep SWMBO happy).

:mug:

Thanks for the info Big Floyd, not sure if it's the beer talking but it seems a bit complicated. I'll take a look with fresh eyes tomorrow, hopefully it's easier than I'm making it out to be.

What I like is that it won't alter my electrical components of the fridge (which will keep SWMBO happy).

:mug:

It's really easier than you might think at first. Watch the video through a couple times, paying careful attention to the wiring parts and you'll gain the confidence to tackle it. If you have a friend who understands basic electrical wiring have them help you and then reward them later with some of the extraordinarily tasty brew you will make using good temp control. :D

When I built my first one (of two that I use), I stopped what I was doing 3-4 times to take a look at the YouTube video to double-check my work. When it came time to test it, I used a table lamp in the plugs and set the controller to activate------yahoo!! It worked and it's been working great ever since. The second one was, of course, much easier.

An experienced brewer friend told me when I was starting that after he set up a freezer in his garage like this, the quality of his beers improved more from that one change than because of anything else he did to develop his brewing techniques, including going to all-grain.

Thanks BigFloyd, I think you convinced me. I saw one of these stc 1000 units on amazon for $18, is that good? I have amazon prime so I won't pay shipping and get it in 2 days :)

Thanks BigFloyd, I think you convinced me. I saw one of these stc 1000 units on amazon for $18, is that good? I have amazon prime so I won't pay shipping and get it in 2 days :)

That's less than I paid for mine off amazon, so yes that is good. Make extra sure it's the 110V version, not the 220V.

2-day Prime shipping surely is nice.:D

Not sure if I want to do the DIY paint can heater, any other low watt heating ideas I can use that won't require putting together?

Not sure if I want to do the DIY paint can heater, any other low watt heating ideas I can use that won't require putting together?

I use the brewbelt in one of my fermentation chambers. Works really well. Downside is it only heats one carboy instead of the whole chamber.

There are reptile heaters of different wattages that screw into a light fixture and don't emit light. I use Hydrofarm seedling heat mats at about $25 a pop...just duct tape to the carboy!

Used this thread to build a temp controller for my wine cooler that I dedicated for fermentation. It works so well! Thanks for all the instructions and guidance. My yeast is finally happy and I don't need to worry about my wine cooler cooling whenever it feels like. Two thumbs up!

WooHoo, just got around to testing mine out and it works like a charm! Thanks again for all your help everyone.

BigFloyd, I saw your build on the paint can lamp but does anyone have any other options for a heat source? I'm looking at something that doesn't require diy building.

BigFloyd, I saw your build on the paint can lamp but does anyone have any other options for a heat source? I'm looking at something that doesn't require diy building.

There are reptile heaters of different wattages that screw into a light fixture and don't emit light. I use Hydrofarm seedling heat mats at about $25 a pop...just duct tape to the carboy!

Here's a couple

WooHoo, just got around to testing mine out and it works like a charm! Thanks again for all your help everyone.

Good stuff. You will love the result that you'll get by being able to control your temps.

Some folks use a small ceramic heater as the heat source.

hmmm, I'm now thinking of going the paint can heater route... I did find this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PAQHLG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm thinking it's going to be overkill since I live in CT and if anything I'll really only be concerned about the cooling aspect since it will be Summer soon. During the winter months, I'll just keep my fermenters upstairs where it's around 62 degrees.

Does that make sense?

hmmm, I'm now thinking of going the paint can heater route... I did find this on amazon http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000PAQHLG/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I'm thinking it's going to be overkill since I live in CT and if anything I'll really only be concerned about the cooling aspect since it will be Summer soon. During the winter months, I'll just keep my fermenters upstairs where it's around 62 degrees.

Does that make sense?

I don't even have my heater hooked up this time of year, but it's sitting there for whenever needed.

I'd suggest running the fermenter chamber year-round instead of relying on colder room temps in the fall/winter. It takes the guesswork out of what the fermenter temp actually is and it allows you to cold crash by just changing the setting on the STC-1000. To me, cold crashing is one of the nice extras that come with having a well-regulated fermenter chamber.

Back