Can I mark my SS kettle?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

doublebogey10

Reaction score
Hi, hopefully a simple question and I think I know the answer, but looking for reassurance.
I have a 10-gal stainless steel brew kettle. Nothing fancy -- no valve or thermometer or measuring marks. When it comes to the latter, is it OK for me to take a Sharpie and mark off gallon increments so I know the levels of wort I'm working with?
Is there something better or preferred over a Sharpie? Will this produce any off flavors or ill effects on beer?

I would personally prefer to use something to etch lines into the metal. More permanent than sharpie and less chemicals

Rather than marking your kettle, mark your spoon. These are my markings for my 5 gallon extract pot. I added the amount of measured water to the pot then stood the spoon up in the pot along a wall at the pot handle (to get the same measurement every time). I then took a file and marked the spoon.

image-236898270.jpg

Rather than marking your kettle, mark your spoon. These are my markings for my 5 gallon extract pot. I added the amount of measured water to the pot then stood the spoon up in the pot along a wall at the pot handle (to get the same measurement every time). I then took a file and marked the spoon.

That's flat out brilliant. I saw people using measuring sticks but never got around to making something that would inevitably get lost. I love the fact the spoon does double duty.

I have a metal yardstick. My kettles have a 1.5 inch increment per gallon. If I need 7 gallons of wort then quick math tells me that will be 10.5 inches on the yard stick.

I tried years ago using sharpie to mark a plastic long-handled brewing spoon. The wort took most off in the first batch. By about the fourth batch you couldn't read the marks. When it comes to acidic wort, grain and dissolved sugars and acids, permanent markers are not very permanent.

I've been wondering the same thing, and would prefer to avoid dipping something in my kettle, more out of convenience than sanitation.

I would think it okay to mark the inside using some sort of large punch to dimple the kettle wall such that one could still reliably clean it.

I took my plastic (food grade) spoon and used a small pipe cutter to mark my gallon and half gallon measurements. I then colored the marks with a sharpie, red for half and black for full gallons. I used fine sandpaper, steel wool to remove the excess. Works great, looks good and was cheap too...

I mark my plastic mash paddle with a sharpie. I have to redo it every 5th or 6th batch or so. Can't be that bad for us with that small level of exposure. Then again, my wife's left arm did just fall off rather unexpectedly.

I mark my plastic mash paddle with a sharpie. I have to redo it every 5th or 6th batch or so. Can't be that bad for us with that small level of exposure. Then again, my wife's left arm did just fall off rather unexpectedly.

sharpie ink + aluminum kettle + plastic mash paddle= spontaneously disjointed limbs

SwivelHips said:
I've been wondering the same thing, and would prefer to avoid dipping something in my kettle, more out of convenience than sanitation.

I would think it okay to mark the inside using some sort of large punch to dimple the kettle wall such that one could still reliably clean it.

Well, I also know that each kettle is 17 inches deep so I can just measure how far down the wort is from the top and do a bit more math.

"Ineed 8 gallons, so that is 12 inches of wort meaning it will be 5 inches from the top."

I use a stick. I also have the outside of the kettle marked in sharpie. The sharpie won't last on the inside.

Just measure the deadspace if you don't want to submerge a measuring device in your kettle. Or mark the spoon.

Both are good. I've done both, think measuring deadspace is a bit easier since you're not relying only on the intervals you've already measured/marked.

I have notches cut onto a stick. Each pot I own has a custom made dip stick to check the volume.

ME too. I took a scrap of maple I had and used a gallon jug. I then took a hack saw and made kerf marks at every gallon.

always measure the exact same way you did when you calibrated. it doesn't matter how you did it. just be consistent

Has anyone mentioned sightglass??

heh, I've tried to learn some restraint in threads like this, especially when it's garnered so much support for dip sticks and such. Also, the OP mentioned not having any kettle accessories so I didn't think it was time for the dark side yet. I don't want to contribute to the delinquency of credit card bills. But, now that you mention it.

customer4EZSpot.jpg

customerbayou.jpg

Bobby_M said:
heh, I've tried to learn some restraint in threads like this, especially when it's garnered so much support for dip sticks and such. Also, the OP mentioned not having any kettle accessories so I didn't think it was time for the dark side yet. I don't want to contribute to the delinquency of credit card bills. But, now that you mention it.

You make me chuckle. I too have a custom dipstick but I am already on the dark side, and my next upgrade to my BK/HLT's is a slight glass.
But the dipstick works well! I have used it on every batch and if calibrated well is virtually fool proof.

I just bought sight glasses (weldless too) for 25 dollars a piece...it's really not that big of a problem...

Back