Honey brown ale/Yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Stieger2012

Reaction score
I just picked up a honey brown ale extract kit from my local brew shop on the weekend. It came with Windsor British style yeast. I've been browsing through the forums and it's starting to look like this yeast may not be the greatest. Does anyone have any suggestions of a better yeast to use for this style of beer?

You could always go with a clean yeast like 1056 or S-05. Wyeast recommends any of these for the style, but I haven't used any of them you to give you feedback:
1028 - London Ale™
1098 - British Ale™
1275 - Thames Valley Ale™
1335 - British Ale II™

I used windsor once. it wasn't bad. I used it in a Cooper's sparkling ale clone, and the beer pretty much tasted just like the real one.

I suspect the reason some people don't like this strain is due to it being a moderate attenuator, which means it leaves some sugars behind, and doesn't reach as low of a fg as other yeasts. that is a valid reason if you want a dry beer, but in some beers you don't need a really low final gravity.

Thanks for the feedback guys. I'll do a little research about the Wyeast, looks like a pretty cool product. I guess after I have a few more brews under my belt I'll have a better idea of what works best for me...

If you have some means of controlling fermentation temps (even a cool cupboard will do) then I was very happy with mine fermented with S-04 at 65F wort temp. Otherwise I'd go with S-05 for dry yeast.

S-04 is a good yeast for English style ales, particularly browns, if you don't want to use liquid. I've used it a bunch with great results.

I went with the Wyeast 1272. Pitched it late Sunday evening and had lots of airlock activity about 18 hrs after, settled down after about 2 days. I'll take a gravity reading in a couple of days just to see where it is at.

Back