Cedar Bar/Keezer Build

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
more pictures:

freezer 1.jpg

freezer 2.jpg

This last week I epoxied the worm holes that went through the top of the bar. I went with West System 207 epoxy which cures clear so that I can see into the holes and should add more character. It was pretty expensive but this project is already costing a ton I figured why not go all out. I used duct tape to close off the holes on the sides and bottom. Huge mistake! When the 2 parts are mixed together it creates enough heat to loosen the tape and started seeping all over my garage. After 2 more cans of epoxy and sheets of scrap plywood to hold on the tape I was able to fill all the holes.

I got the bottom sanded flat and put a layer of sealer on to water proof it. Also got the bark taken off, edges sanded and top sanded perfect and ready for my first coat of the oil/poly blend.

epoxy 1.jpg

epoxy 2.jpg

epoxy 3.jpg

Thanks guys! I'm really pumped for this to be finished. It's getting really close now. All I really have left is finishing coats on the top and frame and attaching the top. Put my first coat of finish on the top last night. The grain really pops and I love how the worm holes turned out. It almost looks like they are filled with water when you are up close.

finish coat 1.jpg

HOLY HELL Man.....that is looking awesome! I have been away from HBT for waaaay too long. I have been pursuing another business opportunity, so all spare time for the past few months has been devoted to that venture. Now that I am back and combing the DIY threads, I see that I have been missing a lot of great work by the members of HBT! Not sure why in your thread, but I can't start seeing any of your pics until page 4 of the thread. :drunk: Obviously, as you can see in all of my builds, I love me some red cedar! Glad my build provided a little inspiration to you. Keep up the great work and keep the pics. coming (now that I can start seeing them). :mug:

P.S. Your bar top is tremendous! The gnarlier the better in my book. I went with the redwood slab, because I couldn't find a large enough cedar log on my dad's property for a proper bar top and simply didn't have the time or tools required to book pieces together. The redwood compliments the red cedar in my bar nicely, but your bar top is way more cool! Nice work!

HOLY HELL Man.....that is looking awesome! I have been away from HBT for waaaay too long. I have been pursuing another business opportunity, so all spare time for the past few months has been devoted to that venture. Now that I am back and combing the DIY threads, I see that I have been missing a lot of great work by the members of HBT! Not sure why in your thread, but I can't start seeing any of your pics until page 4 of the thread. :drunk: Obviously, as you can see in all of my builds, I love me some red cedar! Glad my build provided a little inspiration to you. Keep up the great work and keep the pics. coming (now that I can start seeing them). :mug:

P.S. Your bar top is tremendous! The gnarlier the better in my book. I went with the redwood slab, because I couldn't find a large enough cedar log on my dad's property for a proper bar top and simply didn't have the time or tools required to book pieces together. The redwood compliments the red cedar in my bar nicely, but your bar top is way more cool! Nice work!

Thanks man I really appreciate that. Learned a lot from your build as well as others. Not sure why the pictures aren't showing up on the first pages. I tried to take them as I remembered along the way. I've definitely put some time into it. Have a few hours left of finishing but that's about it.

Crazy part is that I just got a promotion out of the blue and am moving to san Diego in a week now. Going from a big house with a big basement to a rental house that's 700 sq ft. But on the beach (who can complain). Problem is no place for the bar inside until we find somewhere more permanent.

Contimplating using a car cover and keeping it on the patio? I don't think I can bring myself to sell it so I need to figure out an all weather option now.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Sweet baby Jesus that thing will look sweet, love that cedar slab. Man it'd make me nervous as hell leaving something that looks like that outside. No telling what all the salt content/humidity in the air could do to it. Hell I'd set my TV on it if nothing else, just to keep it inside.

San Diego is awesome, you'll love it. If you need anyone to store it short term, my best friend lives out there and has garage space. I can put you two in contact. He'll store it for free, your kegs just might be missing volume a bit, haha...

Congrats on the promotion! If I were you, I would not give up the bar. I would find someplace to store it, until I had a proper place to reinstall it. You have put way too much work into this project to hand it off to a complete stranger. Thankfully, when I built my house, I built it with no intentions of ever leaving. I own several PT practices in my area, so have no reason to ever relocate. With the countless hours I have spent building the bar, keezer, and brewery, I would have a hard time walking away from it if I ever needed to sell. TAKE IT WITH YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :mug:

Thanks man I really appreciate that. Learned a lot from your build as well as others. Not sure why the pictures aren't showing up on the first pages. I tried to take them as I remembered along the way. I've definitely put some time into it. Have a few hours left of finishing but that's about it.

Crazy part is that I just got a promotion out of the blue and am moving to san Diego in a week now. Going from a big house with a big basement to a rental house that's 700 sq ft. But on the beach (who can complain). Problem is no place for the bar inside until we find somewhere more permanent.

Contimplating using a car cover and keeping it on the patio? I don't think I can bring myself to sell it so I need to figure out an all weather option now.

Any suggestions are appreciated!

Rent a POD or storage unit?

Update on the cedar bar. I haven't got to work on it as much as I would have liked to but had some time this last week to work on it. Put on about 10 coats of finish on the top and sides because I thought I would be keeping it outside. Turns out the girlfriend is on board with ditching the kitchen table and using the bar instead! Time to get this thing finished!

Cut a hole in the cedar top and used 4 - 6" lag bolts to attach the tap tower. Now just need to attach the hinges, cut a hole in the freezer, and figure out cooling for the tower.

image.jpg

Latest posts

Back