Recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FrankB

Reaction score
I am participating in our club's Big Brew. They decided on doing a Belgium Blonde.

My problem is I really am not fond of Belgium beers, so I would like to modify the recipe to something different. They are providing us with wort which will have per 5 gallons
8.5 lb (3.86 kg) German Pils malt
2.0 lb (0.9 kg) American pale malt

We get to add what ever hops and yeast or other items along the way. I have been trying to find recipes that have those two malts with roughly the same ratio but to no avail. What other types of beer could I transform that wort into. I have only done extracts and kits prior to this so I have no experience in developing recipes.

If you can lager, you could make a pilsner, if not, you could use 1oz warrior at 60, 1oz simcoe at 20, and 1oz amarillo or cascade at 0, then 1oz of the other at dry hop. That would make a nice ipa, with little malt interference with hop flavor, then use a British yeast to add a bit of fruity esters, like white labs 002, do not ferment too warm though, stick to 66°-68°.

maybe add in 12oz or so of candi sugar or some cane sugar. most belgians seem to use styrian goldings, ounce-ish at 60, then 1/4 to 1/2 ounce of either styrian or saaz for 15 and 2 minutes. 1/4 ounce of orange peel and/or 1/4tsp of coriander are also fairly common. if it's within the rules maybe "steep" a couple ounces of aromatic malt or victory for a dash of complexity.

that's about all I got for advice. update when you get the results please :)

It would be more of a session ipa actually. Based on malt bill I would venture to guess you could get 5.5% - 6% abv.

Back