3 Gallon Kegs

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Also, trying to determine if two of these would fit in my danby DAR440BL fridge, as I will be converting it soon.

Just be careful if these are chinese made kegs. I've read that they're difficult to find replacement parts for.

They are also not NSF rated (no proof of being foodsafe if you are into that sort of thing)

I purchased one and will prob end up buying atleast another 3 gallon and a 5 gallon as well. Lid and posts were all interchangeable with the 5 gallon cornies I had. Seemed nice for the money. I'm not sure how they'll hold up to heavy or long term use but for the money I'm not all that concerned.

I've purchased the 2.5 gallon ones from corneykeg.com, just received them a week ago but haven't used them yet. And yes, they are stainless steel so food grade. These use the standard lids as other cornies.

keg closeup.jpg

There was a site that tested the metal of the Chinese kegs and there were issues with them. I'll try to find the link, but there were issues with rusting and the metal not being the grade that was claimed.
The second keg (more expensive) that was linked above is the Italian made version and are far superior in terms of quality.

Ibelieve it was kegconnection that tested the chinese kegs and found the results you mentioned. They only sell the Italian kegs.

Adventures in homebrewing sells these 2.5gal kegs as well (stackable) and posted a 'test report' listing amounts of various metals. I haven't bounced this report off of a 'standard' myself, but the link is here (pdf)
By all means, if anyone doesn't feel comfortable with an item, don't order. I'm not sure classifying all materials from one country as somehow unsafe is warranted, but it is a personal decision to make.
I spent the first 5 or 6 years of my homebrewing years (1998- ~2004) hearing how Aluminum pots would give me Alzheimers, now that is pretty much debunked as well.

I've purchased the 2.5 gallon ones from corneykeg.com, just received them a week ago but haven't used them yet. And yes, they are stainless steel so food grade. These use the standard lids as other cornies.

Is all stainless steel food grade? I always assumed a pot stamped "NSF" is made with materials and in a facility that is likely safer than the place that makes stainless car exhaust parts.

http://mightynest.com/blog/stainless-steel-all-about-food-grade-304-188-and-1810

304 grade stainless steel is also comprised of no more than 0.8% carbon and at least 50% iron. The chromium binds oxygen to the surface of the product to protect the iron from oxidation (rust). Nickel also enhances the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. Therefore, the higher the nickel content, the more resistant the stainless steel is to corrosion.

I actually bit the bullet today and paid ~100 ea for the AEB Italian made kegs. Seemed better safe than sorry.

http://mightynest.com/blog/stainless-steel-all-about-food-grade-304-188-and-1810

304 grade stainless steel is also comprised of no more than 0.8% carbon and at least 50% iron. The chromium binds oxygen to the surface of the product to protect the iron from oxidation (rust). Nickel also enhances the corrosion resistance of stainless steel. Therefore, the higher the nickel content, the more resistant the stainless steel is to corrosion.

Well according to this and what Ibrew posted these kegs are 18/8 or 304 grade. Good to know since I purchased two recently. I love that they can stack in my keezer with the fittings on.

Well according to this and what Ibrew posted these kegs are 18/8 or 304 grade. Good to know since I purchased two recently. I love that they can stack in my keezer with the fittings on.

The reason I went for these was the ability to stack w/ fittings on as well. If they were the standard style that didn't allow that I would likely just spend a few more dollars and get the Italian made as well.

I actually bit the bullet today and paid ~100 ea for the AEB Italian made kegs. Seemed better safe than sorry.

Better make sure you can get the posts off when you get them. I've had 2 of the AEB kegs now that have had either a stuck gas post or liquid post. They were replaced by the seller, which is good, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

Better make sure you can get the posts off when you get them. I've had 2 of the AEB kegs now that have had either a stuck gas post or liquid post. They were replaced by the seller, which is good, but it was frustrating nonetheless.

That is concerning for sure, I will be very sad if the posts dont come off. I actually started a thread asking about that after one vendor told me the posts were designed to NOT be removed. people said I was crazy for thinking the posts may not come off, other vendors said they should. Weird.

Well, the posts should come off. I think it's the poppets you're thinking of. Those do not come out, which kind of irks me. But someday, I'll make the effort to take them out and put in universal poppets.

I have a 3 gal and a 2.5 gal AEB kegs. I have been happy with them; they are basically nicer/new pepsi ball locks. The posts do come off and the poppets can be replaced. I think you will be satisfied with the purchase.
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/kegs-and-keg-parts/cornelius-ball-lock-gas-post/
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/kegs-and-keg-parts/cornelius-ball-lock-liquid-post/
Poppet:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/kegs-and-keg-parts/aeb-poppet-valve/

Here is the 5 gal if you feel so inclined:
http://www.rebelbrewer.com/shop/great-gifts/5-gallon-ball-lock-new-keg/

Well, the posts should come off. I think it's the poppets you're thinking of. Those do not come out, which kind of irks me. But someday, I'll make the effort to take them out and put in universal poppets.

the vendor "beverage elements" indicates that post removal voids warranty; that CIP techniques should be used leaving the posts in place

There are different Chinese kegs on the market. The ones AIH and OBK sell are 304 SS and use standard parts.

The other model does not use standard parts. I have no idea what the material composition is.

I have a return coming for a new AEB with rust. Never had a Chinese keg returned for rust.

I would take any comment over country of origin with a grain of salt. The reviews for the talked about keg are actually excellent when compare the price point of the product. A homebrewer does not need to have a NSF stamp on everything. Or toilet braids would be stamped NSF.... And wooden paddles...

If you want to pay a premium for a unneeded NSF stamp go for it.

JonGrafto said:
The only difference between this and the original poster's link is the rubber bottom.

First one is just stainless bottom for $75.95 and the rubber bottomed one is $96.95

Negative. OP posted the Chinese made keg and the subsequent post was the Italian made keg. They are two different items. .

el_horno said:
How can you tell their country of origin?

I just know for these particular ones. Some vendors actually indicate that in the description. The brushed stainless one is the AEB out of Italy and the shiny stainless is from China. Now that I think of it, I think these are the only new ball locks that can be purchased; the other types are used, typically from coke or Pepsi.

Latest posts

Back