saving money with brewing

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't know where you live but if that's what it costs to do all grain there ill be sure to steer clear. If you're paying that much then you have serious problems

I don't think my estimate was that unreasonable. I've never actually sat down and added up my own expenses before, but here goes:

• $100 - Used refrigerator (for cold-crashing, storing yeast/hops/bottled beer)
  • $100 - Used chest freezer (fermentation chamber for lagers, or holds kegs for serving)
  • $200 - 15 gallon stainless boil kettle with ball valve and thermometer
  • $75 - Turkey fryer set w/ burner and 7 gallon pot (HLT)
  • $75 - Bayou Classic burner when I got sick of the stupid safety timer on the turkey fryer burner
  • $25 - Spare propane tank
  • $200 - 5 reconditioned ball lock Corny kegs
  • $150 - 10 pound CO2 tank, filled, w/ regulator (for carbonating)
  • $100 - 5 pound CO2 tank, filled, w/ regulator (for serving)
  • $50 - Various hoses, beverage lines, picnic taps, gas manifolds, ball-lock quick-disconnects, etc
  • $20 - Spare poppets, O-rings, keg lube, gas/liquid posts, pick-up tube scrub brush
  • $25 - PBW, StarSan
  • $50 - 48-quart Coleman cooler
  • $40 - 2 stainless Bazooka screens (one for mash tun, one for boil kettle)
  • $20 - Brass barb, ball-lock valve, brass coupler, washers, and rubber O-rings for completing fittings in cooler mash tun
  • $100 - Hop screen (the cylindrical custom stainless steel ones from Chad at Arbor Fabricating that everybody uses)
  • $25 - Good, digital thermometer
  • $10 - Good, stainless mash stirring spoon
  • $20 - BrewHauler strap (essential for lifting lagers into and out of the chest freezer fermentation chamber)
  • $30 - EvaDry dehumidifier (necessary to control humidity in freezer)
  • $50 - Temperature controller (to use freezer as fermentation chamber)
  • $100 - Cabinet and organizational compartments to store and organize everything
  • $125 - DudaDiesel 30-plate chiller
  • $100 - Quick-disconnect fittings (4) to connect hoses to plate chiller
  • $50 - T-joint, fittings, and thermometer to monitor wort temperature at chiller output port
  • $125 - 5 glass carboys
  • $50 - Basic pump for moving wort during chilling
  • $20 - Fizz-X for aerating wort
  • $200 - A dozen food-grade plastic pails with Gamma Seal lids for storing bulk grain (with shipping and taxes)
  • $125 - Foodsaver vacuum sealer with extra rolls, for sealing bulk hops
  • $40 - StirStarter stir plate, with power supply and keeper magnet
  • $10 - Stir bar (with taxes and shipping)
  • $20 - 2000 mL borosilicate flask (for yeast starters)
  • $10 - Kitchen scale (for weighing grains)
  • $15 - Fine digital scale (for weighing hops)
  • $100 - Lab vials, syringes, extra flasks and beakers, alcohol lamp with wick and fuel, nichrome wire loop, Agar powder, vinyl tape, autoclavable rack, for yeast harvesting/culturing
  • $10 - Autosiphon
  • $10 - Bottle tree
  • $20 - Vinator bottle rinser/sanitizer
  • $100 - BarleyCrusher grain mill

That's $2,695.

That's not including the cost of any ingredients or any of the books I've bought, nor the beer bottles, or other miscellaneous items, like paper towel, the notebooks I use to take notes, the propane, water, and electricity used during all this, or the copper coil immersion chiller I bought before I upgraded to the plate chiller.

kombat said:
I don't think my estimate was that unreasonable. I've never actually sat down and added up my own expenses before, but here goes:

[*]$100 - Used refrigerator (for cold-crashing, storing yeast/hops/bottled beer)
[*]$100 - Used chest freezer (fermentation chamber for lagers, or holds kegs for serving)
[*]$200 - 15 gallon stainless boil kettle with ball valve and thermometer
[*]$75 - Turkey fryer set w/ burner and 7 gallon pot (HLT)
[*]$75 - Bayou Classic burner when I got sick of the stupid safety timer on the turkey fryer burner
[*]$25 - Spare propane tank
[*]$200 - 5 reconditioned ball lock Corny kegs
[*]$150 - 10 pound CO2 tank, filled, w/ regulator (for carbonating)
[*]$100 - 5 pound CO2 tank, filled, w/ regulator (for serving)
[*]$50 - Various hoses, beverage lines, picnic taps, gas manifolds, ball-lock quick-disconnects, etc
[*]$20 - Spare poppets, O-rings, keg lube, gas/liquid posts, pick-up tube scrub brush
[*]$25 - PBW, StarSan
[*]$50 - 48-quart Coleman cooler
[*]$40 - 2 stainless Bazooka screens (one for mash tun, one for boil kettle)
[*]$20 - Brass barb, ball-lock valve, brass coupler, washers, and rubber O-rings for completing fittings in cooler mash tun
[*]$100 - Hop screen (the cylindrical custom stainless steel ones from Chad at Arbor Fabricating that everybody uses)
[*]$25 - Good, digital thermometer
[*]$10 - Good, stainless mash stirring spoon
[*]$20 - BrewHauler strap (essential for lifting lagers into and out of the chest freezer fermentation chamber)
[*]$30 - EvaDry dehumidifier (necessary to control humidity in freezer)
[*]$50 - Temperature controller (to use freezer as fermentation chamber)
[*]$100 - Cabinet and organizational compartments to store and organize everything
[*]$125 - DudaDiesel 30-plate chiller
[*]$100 - Quick-disconnect fittings (4) to connect hoses to plate chiller
[*]$50 - T-joint, fittings, and thermometer to monitor wort temperature at chiller output port
[*]$125 - 5 glass carboys
[*]$50 - Basic pump for moving wort during chilling
[*]$20 - Fizz-X for aerating wort
[*]$200 - A dozen food-grade plastic pails with Gamma Seal lids for storing bulk grain (with shipping and taxes)
[*]$125 - Foodsaver vacuum sealer with extra rolls, for sealing bulk hops
[*]$40 - StirStarter stir plate, with power supply and keeper magnet
[*]$10 - Stir bar (with taxes and shipping)
[*]$20 - 2000 mL borosilicate flask (for yeast starters)
[*]$10 - Kitchen scale (for weighing grains)
[*]$15 - Fine digital scale (for weighing hops)
[*]$100 - Lab vials, syringes, extra flasks and beakers, alcohol lamp with wick and fuel, nichrome wire loop, Agar powder, vinyl tape, autoclavable rack, for yeast harvesting/culturing
[*]$10 - Autosiphon
[*]$10 - Bottle tree
[*]$20 - Vinator bottle rinser/sanitizer
[*]$100 - BarleyCrusher grain mill

That's $2,695.

That's not including the cost of any ingredients or any of the books I've bought, nor the beer bottles, or other miscellaneous items, like paper towel, the notebooks I use to take notes, the propane, water, and electricity used during all this, or the copper coil immersion chiller I bought before I upgraded to the plate chiller.

Yeah but he doesn't need all on that to start brewing all grain. I don't think anyone actually needs all of that. My ice water baths work fine and save money on water. I don't have or need a bottle tree. I aerate my wort by dumping it into the fermenter so no stone or pump needed. I built my grain mill for $12. I wash yeast without stir plates and bars and what not. No need for plate chiller. Don't need a temp controller because my garage is my fermentation chamber. No need for a dehumidifier. I only need one fridge. I've never bought a brewing book. Everything I've learned came from google and YouTube.

Their is no way all of that is necessary to do BIAB or all grain. I know because I make amazing beer without all of that, and to tell somebody that they need to spend the money on all of that to make good beer is outrageous. The beer I make is equal to beer that sells for $12 a 6-pack. I recently cloned a beer from a brewery in Pullman,WA. I liked it so much I was going to buy a corny keg fill of it until I was told the price was over $100. After 3 batches I have the recipe perfect and it only costs me $17 in grains and hops. It will be even cheaper when I start buying in bulk.

But to each their own. If you don't mind spending all that to make beer I don't have a problem with it. But when you tell other people they need that stuff to make a batch of beer and their is no other way to do it then it becomes a problem. If I was just starting out and read this thread I don't think I would want to brew beer if that's what I thought it costs. I don't think too many people would.

So 2.70/beer. Not that bad.

I'm a way worse golfer than brewer, and over the last two years I have golfed maybe 40 times per year. Each round cost maybe $25, so I'm looking at $2000 over two years with nothing to show for it. I also had to buy clubs, balls, tees, clothes, etc.

Yeah but he doesn't need all on that to start brewing all grain.

Of course not, I didn't mean to imply he did. He asked about the cost of brewing your own, and I was merely trying to illustrate that it's a broad spectrum. The answer is pretty much, "how much do you WANT to spend?"

I outlined my own expenses as an example of how far you CAN take it. I didn't mean to suggest that you HAVE to spend that much on it. In fact, in my original post, I listed $2,000 as the rough cost of the fully-outfitted, kegging, all-grain setup, but upon reviewing my own numbers, it seems I was easily able to get to almost $3,000 without even realizing it.

I've never bought a brewing book. Everything I've learned came from google and YouTube.

And... *cough* *cough* HBT? :)

But when you tell other people they need that stuff to make a batch of beer and their is no other way to do it then it becomes a problem.

OK, well I KNOW I never said THAT.

If I was just starting out and read this thread I don't think I would want to brew beer if that's what I thought it costs. I don't think too many people would.

Again, like I said, while you can certainly brew fine beer spending far less, I do believe a lot of people underestimate how quickly all those "little things" add up, the stuff like StarSan and PBW, thermometers, scales, hydrometers, airlocks, tubing, books, sponges/scrubbie pads, racking canes, autosiphons, bottle caps and a capper, propane, water, electricity... I think a lot of that stuff gets conveniently omitted when estimating the cost of brewing to a newcomer. Granted, most of that stuff is pretty cheap, but it does all add up to at least $50 or so, and when you're claiming you can start brewing for $100 ("A pot, a bag, and a pail!"), it represents a significant underestimation, percentage-wise.

I haven't read the whole thread, so am just addressing the OP's question. You don't have to spend a lot of money to get started and yes you can save money on beer - at least thats what I tell myself. :D

Start small and if you like the hobby, add items. I bought a Turkey Fryer on CL for $40, a beer starter kit (bucket, airlock, hydrometer, thermometer, cleaner, sanatizer) for $50. So under a hundred to get started. Later, I bought a BIAB bag ($20) build an immersion chiller ($60) and a few other things - but you don't need those to start to start. You can easily start the hobby for <$100 to see if you like it.

In terms of savings, a 5 gal batch of beer yields about 55 12oz beers, or just over 9 six packs. For craft beer, at $10 a sixer you're looking at about $90. A 1/6 barrel (5 gallons) would cost you about $50-60 in Colorado so there is substantial savings if you buy kegs. Kits, depending on beer style can range for $25-50. If you start cleaning/harvesting yeast you can knock $7 off a batch . So, you can save a little more brewing it yourself.

Comparing 9 six packs of fat tire ($90) to 1 kit ($26), you've almost paid for the cost of the initial equipment with one batch!

That being said, it is a LOT of work. It takes time. Is your time worth it for the money you save? Sometimes I ask this question to myself when I am really sick of cleaning stuff - but when the final product is ready its all worthwhile. If you enjoy the hobby then its worth it for you.

My 0.02...

Yeah but he doesn't need all on that to start brewing all grain. I don't think anyone actually needs all of that.

You are absolutely right, but many of us end up buying a lot of stuff that we don't NEED. This thread has set out that you can do it rather cheaply but that it is not unreasonable to expect that you will end up buying lots of stuff.

For example, here are my expenses for equipment to date (I am not including consumables or replacements for things I have broke and I am certainly forgetting some things):

Starter Kit (including bottles) -- $125
3 Extra Buckets (w/ lids and airlocks) -- $51
7.5 gallon SS brew kettle -- $67
Plastic Spoon -- $ 4
Carboy (w/bung and airlock) -- $45
Hydrometer Test Jar -- $5
Strainer -- $15
Beersmith -- $28
Funnel -- $9
Thermometer -- $18
Muslin Bag -- $5
Flask w/ stopper -- $21
Grain Mill -- $125
Cooler Mash Tun & HLT (converted myself) -- $150
Bigger Mash Tun -- $75
Autosiphon -- $13

Initial Keg Set Up -- $568
2 new kegs
5# CO2
Double Regulator (so that I can have multiple pressures)
All tubing, including picnic taps
3 Reconditioned Kegs -- $180
CO2 Splitter -- $47
CO2 Tubing/connects -- $27
Liquid Tubing/connects -- $42
Counter-pressure Filler -- $60
Used kegorator & parts to convert to 3 tap system -- $500

So, I've spent about $750 in brewing equipment and $1400 on kegging equipment. Could I have gotten a lot of this stuff cheaper? Of course. Do I have a lot of stuff that I don't use? Not really. And I have received a lot of things as gifts, including: a turkey fryer, a wort chiller, and an extra corny keg. I also happened to get a spare fridge for free and I use that to cold crash, cold condition my extra kegs, and store my yeast and hops.

I am finally at the point that there are not really any toys that I really want (I could use a refractometer, but don't care enough to buy one), and I have not spent much on new equipment in a couple of months.

At some point in the not too distant future, I plan to build a temperature controlled fermenting chamber to make lagers (my basement is a nice 60-62 year round so I have avoided it by brewing nothing but ales). That will run me at least a few hundred dollars.

I also did not include the books that I bought. While you might prefer to do your research online, I prefer to read up on things. I have multiple books on homebrewing and have ended up buying multiple books about beer more generally since I started.

SO, this hobby can get very expensive, very fast.

This seems to be discussed on here on a regular basis. And the arguments always seem to be the same. If you are careful with equipment costs and don't factor in your own time to brew, you certainly can save some money brewing. My belief though is saving money should not be your goal. Your goal should be to produce tasty beer that you enjoy drinking. (at least in the US, seems Canada is quite a bit more expensive for beer) Don't get me wrong. I understand the idea of saving money by brewing, it's one fo the reasons I started brewing myself. But, when it's all said and done, if cheap beer is your only goal, there are plenty of store-bought options that are cheaper than you'll ever be able to make. I just think if you get caught up too much on price and saving a buck, you are kind of closing yourself off to the world of experimentation and to me, that's where the fun in this hobby is at.

I agree with this....I brew all grain, and bought and/or made all my equipment as cheaply as possible, and as others have said, try to avoid the bling. I also try to buy grain as cheaply as possible.

I also like expensive craft beers, so I try to make beers that normally I couldn't afford (good stouts, IPAs, etc.). I probably save a bit more than the brewer that tries to clone BMCs.

Not sure I will ever recoup the costs and come out saving money, but I have had a lot less fun with more expensive hobbies.

this hobby tops out too.

lots of people brew 5 gallons so 3 vessel 10gallon SS bling, UPS drops it off, no DIY, plug it in or hook up gas, this is kind of where it tops out.

electric brewing $4550 +300shiping
gas tower of power $4850 +300shipping

try restoring a classic car for that.:ban:

this hobby tops out too.

lots of people brew 5 gallons so 3 vessel 10gallon SS bling, UPS drops it off, no DIY, plug it in or hook up gas, this is kind of where it tops out.

electric brewing $4550 +300shiping
gas tower of power $4850 +300shipping

try restoring a classic car for that.:ban:

Love this, but I am not sure it's entirely true. Once you get the tower of power, you will want multiple Blichman conical fermenters. . .

I also have a '68 Mustang that I will eventually do a full restoration on. If I could only do the restoration of that for $5K, I would be in heaven.

I think you *can* save money by brewing your own, but that's not really why most of us are here, so the costs start to escalate as we constantly strive to make better beers with more streamlined equipment.

But if I just wanted to make decent, cheap beer, I could definitely "make my money back" within 10 batches or so. (Keep in mind, I'm Canadian so the savings are higher than in other locales.)

For example, my Not-So-Local LHBS sells bulk extract kits, good for 10x5gal brews. At that price, the savings would be ~$60 per batch over the retail cost of crappy beer in these parts. If one kept to a very simple brew system, the savings could add up pretty quickly.

jrstacey said:
Taxes on beer just went up $1.95/12 so a 24 in Manitoba is now almost $47

Doing all grain I can brew 50 L of pale ale for about $60 including the propane for the boil.

Geez that sucks. Its been 6 months since i have bought beer. I know that Quebec is has much cheaper beer. About 15-20 dollars cheaper. Pretty crazy since i live 50kms away from Quebec!!

I have $283 dollars (I keep recipes) in beer making equipment $100 inital kit $50 for a wine making kit with three carboys and a fermentation bucket auto siphon and win thief and another hygrometer and airlocks and stoppers (craigslist) $50 buckets for turkey fryer and burner $25 for refractmeter $58 misc another wine theif 1 gallon jugs paint strainer bags air locks rubber stoppers and I make good beer even found people who don't brew who gav me better bottles etc and coworkers give me bottles yes you can make good beer cheaply

Look up donosborn on YouTube. He gives you a cheap way to brew all grain. I follow his lead and bought my gear on craigslist. I don't have the most professional set up (by far) but I've won a competition that had my beer brewed at a full scale level in a real brewery. You can def make quality beer for less and save money. Just wait for the right deal on Craigslist and do some haggling.

It is fairly simple calculation. I can brew good beer for about 1/2 price, since I drink German wheat beers and those are expensive. Let's say I spend $200 on brewing equipment. I need to drink $400 worth of beer (storebought), to break even.

So it completely depends on your rate of beer consumption :tank:

I didn't get into this fun and interesting hobby thinking that I was going to save money. And I so far haven't.

I just hit my lowest price on a batch...

5 gallons Berliner Weiss. $8.96 for the batch.

I just looked at total wine's website and only found one berliner for sale there...$5 for the 16 oz bottle. Looks like my batch will yield 37 bottles so that would be $185 retail...

Haven't seen a lot of mention about the "cost" of your time. I spend about 10 hours over several weeks to produce a 5 gal batch (brewing, cleaning, dryhopping, bottling). If I took a part time job for 1 saturday a month to pay for my drinking habit of 2-3 craft (or homebrewed) beers a day, that would "save" me more money than homebrewing.

But that's not why we're into it, right?

NeedsMoreHops said:
Haven't seen a lot of mention about the "cost" of your time. I spend about 10 hours over several weeks to produce a 5 gal batch (brewing, cleaning, dryhopping, bottling). If I took a part time job for 1 saturday a month to pay for my drinking habit of 2-3 craft (or homebrewed) beers a day, that would "save" me more money than homebrewing.

No I spend the time brewing so that the rest of the time when I'm not brewing I can think/talk/read/otherwise obsess about brewing. No way your part time job delivers on that benefit.

Here's the bottom line:

If I wasn't brewing in my spare time, I would be doing some other (more expensive) hobby. So it saves me money by getting in the way of me spending money elsewhere.

Say what you will. "Brewing isn't cheap" or "it can be as expensive as you want it" or whatever. It is cheaper than a lot of hobbies, and it is pretty easy to get a useful output. I have golfed for years with absolutely no tangible output.

For me in Canada it's cheaper to brew at home. Considered I buy a partial grain BIaB for $50 which makes 5 gallons of IPA, porter or stout. A case of equivalent beer would cost over $40. The other factor is that in my Province the government has a monopoly on alcohol sales, it's hard to find different craft brews. The big beer companies (with the help of the government) really squeeze out the small guys.

budonze said:
For me in Canada it's cheaper to brew at home. Considered I buy a partial grain BIaB for $50 which makes 5 gallons of IPA, porter or stout. A case of equivalent beer would cost over $40. The other factor is that in my Province the government has a monopoly on alcohol sales, it's hard to find different craft brews. The big beer companies (with the help of the government) really squeeze out the small guys.

Your right about that. I'm up here in the north and i have never seen 99% of the beers shown on this site. We have Molson and Labatt and they pretty much control it all.

Think how much time you spend cooking your own food going to super market preparing the ingredients...... your could use the same logic

My husband and I started a few short weeks ago. Our initial thought was that we would save money over pricey craft beers. Not even having finished our first beer (in bottles now) with 3 more in fermenters, the savings are forgotten. We are in it for the challenge.

Saving money by homebrewing really depends on what types of beers you brew. If the commercial brews you drink are nothing but the cheapest swill you can find while you brew big beers you are definitely not going to save anything. If you think through your equipment purchases and brew the same type(s) of beers that you would be buying you can save money and break even or save money within a couple years.

On the other hand, you have different fingers. I mean on the other hand homebrewing enables you to try out beers/styles you never would have thought about and develops your inner beer snob and as a result your tastes change and you start going more for the hogher dollar beers which ends up costing you in the long run.

All in all you can save money brewing by yourself as long as you do not change your tastes any and do not go bat nuts crazy when it comes to equipment purchases. All in all it is a hobby. And as a bonus to the pleasure that comes from practising your hobby, you get beer out of it too.

I drink at least a 6 pack week that if store bought would be at least $7.99, but more likely is $3-4 per bottle when I build my own 6 pack. So say I save $2 per bottle since a batch usually ends up at $1 per bottle. I saved enough money after two batches to pay for my 9 gal SS kettle with ball valve and thermometer. Yesterday I went out and spent $350 for a kegging setup. I look at it as the savings from the last 6-8 batches.

How about the cost of a stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator for cooking at home? You can certainly buy burgers at McD's cheaper, but I can cook a steak for much less than eating at Outback. If my wife and I share a few $10 sixers a week, my most expensive batch is way cheaper than that. I figure it saves me thousands. Depends what you drink and how much.

kombat said:
And... *cough* *cough* HBT? :)

Can't argue with that. On a lighter note I just bought 50 lbs of 2-Row for $30 from ace hardware in yakima wa. The lowest price I've found so far outside of a group buy. Only a few dollars more than a group buy from what I understand

Effingbeer said:
How about the cost of a stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator for cooking at home? You can certainly buy burgers at McD's cheaper, but I can cook a steak for much less than eating at Outback. If my wife and I share a few $10 sixers a week, my most expensive batch is way cheaper than that. I figure it saves me thousands. Depends what you drink and how much.

Whenever I make a beer I think of how it tastes and how much I enjoy it. Then I envision buying it in a store for $12 a 6 pack. Then I look at how much I spent to make 5 gallons of it. Always a huge savings.

Why would you even mention it? This is a hobby, right? Would you pay yourself the hours you spend on a golf course or sitting in a fishing boat? Of course not, those are hobbies too.

Once this starts to "feel" like work and you need to justify any time costs, it's time to quit.

I thought I was saving money until I paid 71$ for my imperial IPA ingredients!!
Granted it's still cheaper than what I drink from the store usually, but not much.

Now the cider I'm working on is another story. About 25$ into it for 5gal vs the 7-10$ 6 pack store bought cider.

JPR said:
Why would you even mention it? This is a hobby, right? Would you pay yourself the hours you spend on a golf course or sitting in a fishing boat? Of course not, those are hobbies too.

Once this starts to "feel" like work and you need to justify any time costs, it's time to quit.

Quite. Most people paid more for their TV than brewing equipment.

This isn't exactly what your asking but I've leaned that your 'budget' for beer stays the same, it's just the supply gets better. Meaning, I used to drop 5 bucks a week on 2 beers every Friday night. For 5 bucks I can have a homebrew beer almost every night. I haven't saved any money, but I can drink a lot more than I used to without breaking the bank.

Back