Looking for help.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Tabb

Reaction score
So it's in the air for a 10 gallon or a 5 gallon batch that I'm looking to make. I'm hoping to make an all-grain batch.
If I make a 10 gallon batch I have use of two 5 gallon igloo coolers with everything to mash in. But has anyone ever mashed like that?
That's one issue.
I'm also looking to prime in one container which I can by buying a jug from an malt extract. The homebrew store sells them.
Secondary will be divided.
I've never made cream of three crops but the goal is something that the bud light / corona drinkers will like is that good for them?
grateful for info.

I can't help with the mashing, but I made a batch of the cream and all my light beer drinking friends loved it. I fermented too high for my taste, though, so watch that if you're not into those weird flavors.

You can definitely mash in two tuns. Just mill all of your grain, then mix it up really good so you know it's evenly distributed. Then split it up and mash like normal.

Are you going to boil all of the wort at one time in one kettle? Or do you have to split the boil up in to two 5 gal batches?

If you're boiling the entire batch in one kettle, then no problems. If you have to split it up then be sure to mix the wort from both tuns first, so it will be consistent.

Your mash temperature determines how dry your beer ferments to, not the variety of pale malt. At one time 6 row was recommended because of its higher diastatic power for converting when you had a lot of other grains to convert. I'm not convinced it has enough different now to make it worth looking for.

Your mash temperature determines how dry your beer ferments to, not the variety of pale malt. At one time 6 row was recommended because of its higher diastatic power for converting when you had a lot of other grains to convert. I'm not convinced it has enough different now to make it worth looking for.

Thanks

Wishing I Had Grass-2

Recipe specifics:

Style: Cream Ale
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.021
Bitterness (IBU): 22.2
Color (SRM): 3.0
ABV: 8.1%

Grain/Sugars:

5.50 lb Flaked Rice, 35.5%
5.50 lb Two-row (US), 35.5%
4.50 lb Flaked Corn, 29.0%

Hops:

1.00 oz Crystal (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette (AA 4.5%, Whole) 60 min, 11.1 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Kolsch yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast
Does this seem like it will work? Is the ratio of grain to rice and corn ok?

Wishing I Had Grass-2

Recipe specifics:

Style: Cream Ale
Batch size: 5.5 gal
Boil volume: 7.0 gal
OG: 1.082
FG: 1.021
Bitterness (IBU): 22.2
Color (SRM): 3.0
ABV: 8.1%

Grain/Sugars:

5.50 lb Flaked Rice, 35.5%
5.50 lb Two-row (US), 35.5%
4.50 lb Flaked Corn, 29.0%

Hops:

1.00 oz Crystal (AA 4.0%, Pellet) 60 min, 11.0 IBU
1.00 oz Willamette (AA 4.5%, Whole) 60 min, 11.1 IBU

Yeast/Misc:

Kolsch yeast, 1.0 unit(s), Yeast
Does this seem like it will work? Is the ratio of grain to rice and corn ok?

The ABV is way high for a cream ale. It will likely be super hot (alcoholic). Also you might want to use less corn and rice. Like 20% of each.

This recipe is likely to be very dry, lacking flavor, and way too high octane.. Just my opinion...

Never used it before. I had heard it ferments more then 2 row to help make a crisper beer.

Try amylase enzyme in secondary. There's a recipe on here for a light beer like that and it supposedly takes it down even further making a nice crisp beer. I haven't used it yet but plan on it soon. Im told u should use a blowoff though as it gets very active.

Back