Who's awesome?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

daksin

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
2013-05-01092736_zpsd6a1b50b.jpg

We're awesome! California ABC license submitted and we've got our poster for notice of intent to sell. TTB here we come! :rockin:

2013-05-01105705-2_zps5e8bda3a.jpg

Rock on! If that sign was a guitar solo...I'm thinkin "Key to the Highway" by Derek and the Dominos. ;)

Thanks guys- we're super stoked. I'll try and be better about keeping HBT updated. Basically, our stand and 3bbl kettles are being fabricated right now, fittings are sitting on my doorstep, and pumps + burners will be here next week.

Apart from that, we have almost 20bbl of fermentation space ready to go and a cold box that needs to be assembled. Our grain mill is ready to rock as well- a MM3-2.0, truly a badass piece of machinery. We've got about 1000sqft that will be packed to the brim with brewing stuff, with a neat little office with a bigass comfy leather couch in it and a filing cabinet.

The tasting room will basically be whatever's left over, about 300 sqft lets say? Basically anywhere you can stand up that's not the office. If it gets too tight, we may move the office offsite and open that up for people to chill out with a beer. We are pretty freaking excited.

So where are you located and when will you be pouring "test" pints for us local guys? I am up in Carlsbad.

Congratulations!!!!! :mug: I get down south every now and then, post here when it's open!!!

Thanks guys- Cbaddad- it all depends on the TTB as far as serving, but we may run a couple of pilot batches once the brewhouse is constructed that we won't be able to sell. We may need help getting rid of those.

I'm just down the street Daksin, and I wouldn't mind helping you kill some of those pilot batches ;) Would love to pick your brain at some point as well, my brew partner and I are in the process of getting our brewery together right now. Where did you get your brew system/fermenters from?

Everything's custom built. The stand is getting welded right now by a friend, and the kettles are custom made by a local metal fabricator. We looked at off the shelf kettle options, and the biggest we could find was 100g without getting into real serious professional pilot systems. Our kettles will cost about that much, but they'll be ~125g so we can do full 3bbl brews. All the fittings for the kettles and fermenters are from Brewers Hardware (supporting vendor here- super helpful and friendly guys).

The fermenters are the Ace-Rotomold inductor tanks, modified with sanitary everything (see: Brewers Harware)- we have 6 of the 110g full-drain variety. Not sure we'll be able to net a full 3bbl out of them, but we'll see. Got two of them used from a local brewery that's upgrading. Using March AC-5B-MD nanobrewery pumps, which are on their way and a Monster Mill MM3-2.0 driven by a drill. Chilling will probably be a bigass plate chiller from Dudadiesel, but haven't pulled the trigger yet.

That's all I can think of ATM. Feel free to email or PM, or I can answer whatever questions here. I'll try and get a build up as soon as we, you know, start building. Cheers! Re: pilot batches: we can't brew them in out brewery, even if we're not going to sell them, until we get our license, so we'll have to brew and ferment them at home, and even then we can only do two brews before we hit our yearly homebrew limit (and yes- the TTB/ABC are watching us now so we can't fudge this) so that should be interesting. Hope we can get everything dialed in with two brews.

Awesome! Well you let us know if you need to dispose of any test batches. Good luck! Chalk up another brewery for San Diego: Beer Paradise!

Back