Final gravity matches beersmith , Is my beer done ?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smonteton

Reaction score
my final gravity on my hygrometer matches beersmiths projected final gravity . my beer has been fermenting for 2 weeks, is it finished?:drunk:

Maybe. However you should confirm by taking hydrometer readings over at least 2 days ( I always do readings 3 days apart)
If they are the same and that is what you were looking for then it is ready to go.

Ps I am sure you made a typo - but a HYGROMETER is used to measure humidity / moisture content. A HYDROMETER is used to measure specific gravity of liquids.

+1 you want to reach your target gravity AND be stable. What beersmith says is an estimate. It might still have a few points left to go. If it stays there for a few days, it's done. Then give it another week or two.

+1, I would check it in a few days and see if it changes. Also, just because you hit your target F.G. doesn't mean that the yeast is done working. It still needs to clean up after itself so it does not leave any unwanted flavors. I like that you have kept it fermenting for 2 weeks. A good rule of thumb is to leave it fermenting for 3 weeks even though you hit your F.G. just to make sure everything is copasetic.

Back