is there a way to calculate the SG(specific gravity) of the English Maris Otter Malt?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Elysium

Reaction score
I have recently found this one:

http://www.beersmith.com/Grains/Grains/grain_58.htm
There, the sheet says........1.036 SG...but the name is "Pale Malt (2 Row) UK"......and I am wondering if it is the English Maris Otter malt or something else?

The reason why I need to know this....is because I'd like to calculate the efficiency of my Maris Otter grains so that I could decide on the quantity to use for my batch. I can hardly find info on specific gravity of the Maris Otter malt. I find it weird though.

Thanks.

Of course, that's your extract "potential", which is a theoretical value based on 100% efficiency...

Of course, that's your extract "potential", which is a theoretical value based on 100% efficiency...

Agreed. 1.036 in case of 100% efficiency. However, I need this info to estimate how much malt to use (obviously, I will take into consideration that my actual efficiency won't be more than 70-75%)

I have marris otter on my grain list in BS2,looked up the info.
Pale malt,marris otter-united kingdom-grain-3.0 SRM-1.038SG-100%.
I was never quite convinced that the 2-row UK was marris otter. The info I found is close,but different,so...?...:drunk:

It varies by lot. The base is 46 points for pure sugar. The last batch of MO I got was listed as 81%, so that would be 46 x 0.81 = 37. At 82%, that would be 46 x .81 = 38 points. At 79%, that would be 36 points.

calculation is ppg=46.214*(DBCG/100-MC/100-0.002). If the spec data I found is correct as DBCG=80.5 and MC%=3, calculated ppg=36, which match what folks are reporting.

On the off chance that the Maris Otter you have was distributed through Country Malt Group and you know the lot number, you can look up the specifics here: http://www.countrymaltgroup.com/maltlot.asp

The lot number is printed on the side of the bag (for Thomas Fawcett, it might read: MID09 051). Figuring out CMG's codes can sometimes require a little trial and error, but for Thomas Fawcett Maris Otter, you would enter "TFMOPA-MID09-51" to get the lot analysis.

That website might also work for grain purchased through other distributors...I don't actually know since my LHBS buys from CMG.

Edit: Then use nilo's formula from his post above.

It varies by lot. The base is 46 points for pure sugar. The last batch of MO I got was listed as 81%, so that would be 46 x 0.81 = 37. At 82%, that would be 46 x .81 = 38 points. At 79%, that would be 36 points.

hey billl. what does 46 refer to? 46 grams of sugar in 100 grams of grains? Where did you get this info from?

Elysium said:
Agreed. 1.036 in case of 100% efficiency. However, I need this info to estimate how much malt to use (obviously, I will take into consideration that my actual efficiency won't be more than 70-75%)

Not a bad idea to aim a little low on your efficiency (maybe 65%) so the other variables don't add up and leave you short. It's only a few extra bucks of grain, and if you overshoot too much just make more beer!

Not a bad idea to aim a little low on your efficiency (maybe 65%) so the other variables don't add up and leave you short. It's only a few extra bucks of grain, and if you overshoot too much just make more beer!

if I overshoot, can I just add a little bit of water and check the gravity? that will do the magic?

"hey billl. what does 46 refer to?"

46 is the specific gravity (1.046) of 1lb of pure sugar in 1 gallon of solution. That is how they reference malt potential. An 80% rating means it is 80% of the 46 possible points (plus a small correction factor for the none sugar material absorbing liquid)

Elysium said:
if I overshoot, can I just add a little bit of water and check the gravity? that will do the magic?

Yep. The amount of sugars you get from the mash is what it is. For example, if you get 5 gallons at 1.050, you have 250 "gravity points"(5x50, you just leave off the 1 and drop the decimal) If you boil off a gallon you still have 250 points, but it's now 4 gallons of 1.062 (250/4=62.5, or 1.0625) Or you could add a gallon for 6 gallons of 1.042 (250/6). It's really pretty easy when you think of it this way. If your recipe was for an OG of 1.062 and you wanted a full 5 gallons, you'd be short. Personally, I plan for 65% efficiency and just stop the sparge as soon as I've collected the amount of gravity points I need. This wastes a some grain, but saves time and I NEVER come up short...

Yep. The amount of sugars you get from the mash is what it is. For example, if you get 5 gallons at 1.050, you have 250 "gravity points"(5x50, you just leave off the 1 and drop the decimal) If you boil off a gallon you still have 250 points, but it's now 4 gallons of 1.062 (250/4=62.5, or 1.0625) Or you could add a gallon for 6 gallons of 1.042 (250/6). It's really pretty easy when you think of it this way. If your recipe was for an OG of 1.062 and you wanted a full 5 gallons, you'd be short. Personally, I plan for 65% efficiency and just stop the sparge as soon as I've collected the amount of gravity points I need. This wastes a some grain, but saves time and I NEVER come up short...

thanks for the explanation. It is really interesting and useful, but how do you know while sparging that you have reached the desired gravity? Do you keep your hydrometer in the wort while sparging?

Elysium said:
thanks for the explanation. It is really interesting and useful, but how do you know while sparging that you have reached the desired gravity? Do you keep your hydrometer in the wort while sparging?

Personally, I use a refractometer so I can test really fast with just a drop of wort. If you get one though, keep in mind they are inaccurate once fermentation begins because alcohol throws off the equation they use. I wouldn't float a hydrometer in the entire batch 'cause it will be a while before it's deep enough, and if you break it you'll really be in trouble! Just run some off right into your flask or suck some out with a baster. Since you're pre-boil you can dump it back in after testing. Don't forget the temperature correction since you'll be using about 150 degree samples!

Back