Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
metic said:
Anyone interested in my Thomas Faucett Crystal II split? I could change to Crystal I if someone would take that. I'm trying to get some kind of English medium crystal.

I got some last buy and was not too excited. It was darker than the estimated 60L and it took me a few brews to figure it out. Just a fair warning.

I must be half an idiot. I can't seem to figure out how to add sacks to the group buy...

Once you are logged in you will click on the Group Buy 8 link. Once you click on that link the new page will have a "Add Item" button which when you click you can then search for grain to add to your order.

Anyone interested in my Thomas Faucett Crystal II split? I could change to Crystal I if someone would take that. I'm trying to get some kind of English medium crystal.

fyi brew and grow carries tho's malts if you dont get takers

and like forstmeister says they are at the very high end srm as far as color may be even higher then advertised

This was my grain bill. I mashed at 152F repitching US-05 from a nut ale (I don't think that was an issue). The ferm temp kept in the 63F to 67F range. I hopped it very lightly with Summit (60) and UKG (20 and 10). I'll get a bottle to Bill (plus one for him) at the beginning of the next pick up so you can grab it when you come, or maybe we can coordinate our trips there. Thanks for the feedback. Hopefully by then it may mellow a bit.

43% 6.00 Vienna Malt
21% 3.00 Smoked Malt
21% 3.00 Rye Malt
4% 0.50 Carapils
11% 1.50 lb of cane sugar
100% 14.00 Pounds of Malt
20.00 Quarts
1.43 Quarts/Pounds

Well it may not be a phenolic at all (correct me if I am wrong most phenolics are from yeast abuse) to me it looks like an aggressive Rye and Smoked %, .. sounds like a flavor monster with high ABV. Maybe it just needs some mellow time but lets still plan to compare at least how pronounced the smoke is; mine is a pretty basic/wimpy porter and I am almost half the overall % on the smoked. My rye beers I usually stay in the 12-15% and if I really want the rye to pop 20%. Just thinking out load.. I'm thinking time is the ticket.

metic said:
Great, thanks. Given what forstmeister says above, I think I'm going to switch to Crystal I. I hope that's still OK.

That works, I'm in it for recipe research so I'll give it a go.

rgauthier20420 said:
I wanted to see if anyone is around the Crest Hill or Joliet (Southwest Subs really) area that is planning on attending the pickup. I've got a very small car so likely not able to fit the order. I'm up for riding along of course, but need help on pickup day either way.

Ofcourse I've got some brew to share when we return. Got a Neopolitan Stout (The Matrix) and a Choco blackberry wheat on tap along with a couple bottles of a Balgian Ale and Peanut Butter porter.

Let me know if anyone is able to help with pick up or need a helping hand and is able to fit another 3 sacks along for the ride!

Thanks.

I've got an SUV. I think I should be around for that date, and can make the pickup too.
...and last time I checked, you live not even 10 minutes from me. :)

Well it may not be a phenolic at all (correct me if I am wrong most phenolics are from yeast abuse) to me it looks like an aggressive Rye and Smoked %, .. sounds like a flavor monster with high ABV. .......

That was my assumption but it woudl be great to have a second opinion. It's always nice to think time is on one's side.

I've got an SUV. I think I should be around for that date, and can make the pickup too.
...and last time I checked, you live not even 10 minutes from me. :)

If your making that to them consider me a riding buddy for the pickup.

I liked the pick-up. It was nice to put faces with names. It was quite the scene with all the people there. Everyone made such a good showing of the beers they brought; I felt bad about bringing a green PA. It was nice to have my beer critiqued by people who know beer (cough Co-Dave-ugh cough). I'll make up for it this time!!! My beer has been made and will be dry hopped. Ya know Bill, I'd have no problem picking up burgers and dogs, if you have a charcoal grill? I have a bunch of venison back-strap steaks too.

Added a few hop splits, took 2 of each but will cover up to 5lb if we don't get the split covered.

Brewing a Honey Ale today, Red Ale on Tuesday, a Brown Ale on Friday, and a Coffee Stout on Saturday to fill up the 15G fermenters, then some experimental 5G batches for some seasonals I've been mulling over for a month.

Damn. Cadwallion, I'm jealous.

Haha, Mike there are more guys in this group who have forgotten more than I think I know. The cool thing is; all I've talked with are willing to share and offer constructive critique to help each other make better beer. The been there, done that, still do it, here's how I got around it, here's another way to get the same/better result has to be taken constructively. Pay it forward sort of thing.

I don't know if the beer was green or not, only the brewer would know this from brew date, ferm finish date, crash/bright time and temp, serve date. If there was yeast in suspension: three things I encounter regularly..impatience in letting the yeast finish its job(green/young beer), low floccing strain really stressing my gnat like patience, traveling with kegs and stirring other dusty strains back into suspension (especially when they are half full or less). Happens to me every holiday, first family stop get nice bright beer, second family stop gets yeasty settlement in their glass..oh well.

Hey Dave, I did get some 007 yeast and used it in two brews I have going now, that should be ready for the pick-up date. Both bittered with Warrior. The first one show cases Fuggel and the second show cases Simcoe. I liked the critique! You "hit the nail on the head" and I'd like to think I've worked on those things and when you try this next brew it will be leaps and bounds better. I give you and the rest of the brewers the challenge of giving me good feedback. Dave you'd know this, is the 50lb bucket of PBW the best way to go buying cleaner?

Haha, Mike there are more guys in this group who have forgotten more than I think I know. The cool thing is; all I've talked with are willing to share and offer constructive critique to help each other make better beer. The been there, done that, still do it, here's how I got around it, here's another way to get the same/better result has to be taken constructively. Pay it forward sort of thing.

I don't know if the beer was green or not, only the brewer would know this from brew date, ferm finish date, crash/bright time and temp, serve date. If there was yeast in suspension: three things I encounter regularly..impatience in letting the yeast finish its job(green/young beer), low floccing strain really stressing my gnat like patience, traveling with kegs and stirring other dusty strains back into suspension (especially when they are half full or less). Happens to me every holiday, first family stop get nice bright beer, second family stop gets yeasty settlement in their glass..oh well.

I hated that when you have great clear beer at home and then you try and take the keg with you to a friend's house only for it to get stirred up. No matter how careful I tried not to shake it up, it still seemed to get cloudy. I got around that problem by using a 3 gallon corny keg I scored. I hook up a jumper hose from beer out to to beer out and transfer the clear beer into the "travel" 3 gallon korny. Obviously you could use another 5 gallon keg too instead. Eventually I ended up taking one of my son's extra paintball CO2 tank and fitted it with a spare regulator so I can keep it pressurized for serving the beer when on the road.

Just throwing out some ideas for people to think about....

Mark

I'd say let the math and your checkbook tell you that answer. If you have the the $$, the space and the brew lineup, Im sure anything in bulk is a good deal or split in in half. How much pbw have you used in the last year? I get by on very little and rely on Oxyclean and starsan primarily and a little pbw when things get nasty. I have a smoked porter right now that has heavily crusted my fermenter and I want that smoked flavor out before running a lighter beer so I am planning on using the red devil TSP/Oxy mix you've seen a few us us chatting about.

updated the spreadsheet this morning and we are at 280 sacks.

also, for those that are requesting registration, I do check your profiles on hbt. If you don't have a profile then you can't participate. I do this as a screening method and no other reason. thanks.

This may have been asked before, sorry if it has but when is the cutoff?

Edit: just saw the date, missed it before somehow.

Zythos! Pick up some Zythos! I have used Zythos in a DIPA and get nothing but compliments on the flavor.

Gentleman, if the numbers stand, we just cleared 16,000 pounds. Wow! :drunk: This is all under a week. Can we make it 20,000 pounds?

Just had a great conversation with zoning and licensing, nearly over the local hurdles and on to the state. Had to cancel yesterday's brew, but making up for it with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday brew sessions. Shipped improvements to my automation software that had the unintended consequence of no longer rendering text to the screen. Oops.

With my current inventory + my current order, I'll be set for grain for 18 brew sessions in base grain. Uncertain if this will be sufficient for me to get setup with my account, might have to add another 4 sacks of 2-row.

Just had a great conversation with zoning and licensing, nearly over the local hurdles and on to the state. Had to cancel yesterday's brew, but making up for it with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday brew sessions. Shipped improvements to my automation software that had the unintended consequence of no longer rendering text to the screen. Oops.

With my current inventory + my current order, I'll be set for grain for 18 brew sessions in base grain. Uncertain if this will be sufficient for me to get setup with my account, might have to add another 4 sacks of 2-row.

Cad, you may have said before, but how many barrels will your place be?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back