Question about steeping

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NativeSun

Reaction score
I have a technical question about the steeping and boiling process.

I'm going to steep with 3 gallons of water and BIAB. When I'm done with the hour of steeping I'm going to strain the grains in a separate bucket with 4 gallons of room temp water and combine the two for the boil. Is the difference in temperatures (room temp water and 155 degree steeping water) going to affect it in a negative way?

No problem...but you don't need to steep for an hour though. Usually 20-30 minutes is all it takes. If you're going for the full hour, might as well put some base grains in there and call it a partial mash.

TheBiGZ said:
No problem...but you don't need to steep for an hour though. Usually 20-30 minutes is all it takes. If you're going for the full hour, might as well put some base grains in there and call it a partial mash.

Think you can define partial mash? I have 10.5 lbs of grains. My first all grain recipe and I was told to do the hour of steeping and about 20-30 to strain with the 4 gallons.

So you're doing the all grain Brew in a bag. But you're trying to steep the grains? You need to do a mash out before sparging with 170 degree water.

But... I'm really not the guy to ask about this all grain BIAB phenomenon... I don't get it. :)

Gary

Can we assume the "steep" was a mis-speak and the original poster meant "mash"?

He means mash. I confused the two when transitioning to AG. I recommend mashing around 154 for 60 minutes then sparge with 2 gallons of 170 degree water.

I wouldn't sparge with water that warm. At 170 they say tannin extraction starts. My sparge water is 165-168F tops. And 10.5 pounds of grains at 1.5 quarts of water per pound of grain would be 3.9375 gallons of water. The same amount of grains with 1.25 quarts per pound is 3.28125 gallons,& with 1 quart per pound equaling 2.625 gallons of water. I think 4 gallons of water would also account for absorption as well. So mash with 4G & sparge with 3G at 165F & things will go well.

^

I no longer believe in that Tannin crap......But, that's another thread........ :)

Yeah,I've gotten the mash up there once or twice when I started PB/PM BIAB,but not for long & the beer was fine. So idk...maybe it needs to be at that temp for a minimum amount of time &/or PH.?...But better not to temp the fates by spittin in their faces & callin them liars!

Back