Breeding on Mars

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ShootsNRoots

Reaction score
Only 4 people to be chosen, 2 guys 2 gals, they don't really say... but if you want to populate a planet, well... The whole of their experience broadcast to every living soul on the planet...

I wouldn't be caught dead going to Mars, it's a mission for fools.

Apply here if interested - http://applicants.mars-one.com/

Jayhem said:
haha. wtf? Could be a pretty entertaining reality series I suppose.

I'm can see it now.
Real Housewives of the Red Planet
It's inevitable. ;)

I personally think it's a great concept. I bet there are SCORES of qualified people who would do this. We are all dying since the day we were born. Might as well spend your life making a trip to Mars. Beats being hit by a subway train.

As for the reality show, I'm not sure it would work for very long. People get bored quickly. Martians would have to come up with pretty interesting plots in order to keep the viewers entertained.

I personally think it's a great concept. I bet there are SCORES of qualified people who would do this. We are all dying since the day we were born. Might as well spend your life making a trip to Mars. Beats being hit by a subway train.

As for the reality show, I'm not sure it would work for very long. People get bored quickly. Martians would have to come up with pretty interesting plots in order to keep the viewers entertained.

Or eating at Subway.

That is not enough breeding stock. And I certainly would not go unless I had a lot of say on who the other 3 were.

I might be interested after infrastructure was in place and proven and a fairly sizable colony was already established.

I am tempted to pay the money just to say I tried to get into space. You think they might need a 50 year old with a bad back and knees but that can brew good beer?

Pioneering isn't for everyone, but for the cost of a round-trip, you can send ten one-way missions. They won't have any trouble getting people to go. Some people would pay to go.

Their plan for establishing an automated base before sending humans makes all kinds of sense.

That is not enough breeding stock. And I certainly would not go unless I had a lot of say on who the other 3 were.

How do you think life began? I'm sure the first man and woman didn't much care about their lack of options. :p

Pioneering isn't for everyone ... Some people would pay to go.

Their plan for establishing an automated base before sending humans makes all kinds of sense.

I personally think it's a great concept. I bet there are SCORES of qualified people who would do this. ...

I recently visited the BioDome in Arizona. If they could build something like that I'd be all in ...

That is not enough breeding stock. And I certainly would not go unless I had a lot of say on who the other 3 were. ...

Zees has all been zuggested before ...

images

Dr. Strangelove: (Executes an about face in his wheelchair) Mr. President, I would not rule out the chance to preserve a nucleus of human specimens. It would be quite easy... heh heh... (rolls forward into the light) at the bottom of ah ... some of our deeper mineshafts ...

President Muffley: You mean, people could actually stay down there for a hundred years?

Dr. Strangelove: It would not be difficult mein Fuhrer!!! Nuclear reactors could, heh... I'm sorry. Mr. President. Nuclear reactors could provide power almost indefinitely. Greenhouses could maintain plantlife. Animals could be bred and slaughtered. A quick survey would have to be made of all the available mine sites in the country. But I would guess... that ah, dwelling space for several hundred thousands of our people could easily be provided.

President Muffley: Well I... I would hate to have to decide.. who stays up and.. who goes down.

Dr. Strangelove: Well, that would not be necessary Mr. President. It could easily be accomplished with a computer ... (Slams down left fist. Right arm rises in stiff Nazi salute.) Arrrrr! (Restrains right arm with left.) Naturally, they would breed prodigiously, eh? There would be much time, and little to do. But ah with the proper breeding techniques and a ratio of say, ten females to each male, I would guess that they could then work their way back to the present gross national product within say, twenty years ...

General Turgidson: Doctor, you mentioned the ratio of ten women to each man. Now, wouldn't that necessitate the abandonment of the so called monogamous sexual relationship, I mean, as far as men were concerned?

Dr. Strangelove: Regrettably, yes. But it is, you know, a sacrifice required for the future of the human race. I hasten to add that since each man will be required to do prodigious... service along these lines, the women will have to be selected for their sexual characteristics which will have to be of a highly stimulating nature.

Ambassador DeSadeski: I must confess, you have an astonishingly good idea there, Doctor.

Dr. Strangelove: Thank you, sir.

From which mine previous post was excerpted.

The man himself.
His condition, called Alien Hand Syndrome (AHS) ... is an actual neurological medical disorder ... and should not distract you from ze soundness of his ideas.
Für die vaterland ze red planet must be ours!

I give you ... ze brilliant Dr. Strangelove ...

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ybSzoLCCX-Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Back