Hops Details

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JoeDFH

Reaction score
Can anyone explain what these numbers mean?

image-4122118473.jpg

As in how do these numbers dictate when to use which hops with which beers?

They pretty much just tell you the bittering (usually high Alpha) and aromatic (usually High Beta) power of the hops. You dictate when and how you want to use them. Buying a program like Beersmith will really help you get where you need to be and stay within style limits.

PS: I am a Citra fiend. Just don't over do it or your beer will wind up tasting really vegetal almost menthol like. Ran into this with an imperial ipa a while back.

I'm starting to wonder if maybe BS2 is a little heavy-handed with bittering numbers. I had to cut the bittering for my NZ hopped Moari IPA down to .3oz. And the 3 flavor additions to 1.2oz each from 1.5oz I had planned. All to keep within American IPA guidelines in the BS2 graphs.

Well that's a little scary the recipe I have now is for a CPA and it calls for 6 grams of citra and 2 grams of magnum three of the grams of citra are added during the primary. It has a projected 150 IBU which is why I wanted it. I hope it dosen't do that, the wort was quite nice an the aroma was amazing so I have high hopes

Yeah,I'm thinking maybe there are some adjustments I may need to do in BS2. Depends on how the beer turns out?...

I've read quite a few places that high beta hops are usually used for aromatics. My mistake.

Back