Question on Creating a Yeast Starter

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

frederick7

Reaction score
Hello,

I am about to create my first starter from washed yeast. I used the calculator on Brewer's Friend, and it determined that for my batch, I can use a 1L yeast starter with 3.6oz DME. I am slightly confused on how to get to get to the correct volume.

Here are the facts:
1. Batch size: 4.5Gal
2. Starter size: 1L
3. Washed Yeast/Slurry volume: .5L
4. DME to add to starter according to calc (3.6oz)

Using this information would you boil the DME in .5L of water, then add the .5L slurry to the cooled wort?

Thanks!
Alex

Nah, start with just over 1L of water, bring it to a boil and add the DME. some of it wil boil off in the 15 minutes so don't go much over the 1L mark. Once u cool it and pitch and let it ferment, u can either add the entire 1 liter starter OR, cold crash it to get the yeast to drop to the bottom (known as the yeast cake or slurry). Decant or dump out most of the remaining wort that should be clear. Leave just enough to swirl it around and get the cake up off the bottom of the flask and then add that to ur chilled batch. I don't normally ever count the yeast starter towards the total volume of the batch because there is going to be some trub lost i the bottom of my Better Bottle anyways.

I have just complete my stir plate and was going to start to get my 1st yeast starter going I did have some questions about what to use to feed the yeast most everything I have seen so using DME. But would using just table sugar or bottling sugar cause and issues?

You wanna use DME cuz its easy for those yeasties to consume and get energized and multiply, which are the main reasons for making a starter. U could use other types of sugar but it may cause slower reproduction and be harder to process.

Just think of yeasties as athletes and the starter as the dinner meal before they go out to play a big game. U wanna gave them the easiest possible type of sugar to digest, build up their energy and numbers and get ready to tackle a higher gravity beer.

Latest posts

Back