New to Liquid Yeast - starter needed?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

andy6026

Reaction score
I've got two vials of White Labs California Ale Yeast to be used in a batch of beer (IPA) next weekend that will target around 8.5% alcohol.

It's my first time using Liquid yeast (and it will also be my first AG batch). Do I need to make a yeast starter, or can I simply pitch it at the correct temps as is?

Well,according to what I read on my White Labs vials of their 029 German ale/kolsh yeast,it can be pitched straight into wort that's up to OG1.060. I did that on one that was around OG1.046-1.050 & it worked quite well.
But for a beer that's gunna make 8.5%ABV,I'd def make a starter for a beer that big. I bought an 1000mL Earlynmeir flask at the lhbs for just such purposes. Some use bigger flasks,but I felt the 1000mL size was fine for me.
YRMV...

andy6026 said:
I've got two vials of White Labs California Ale Yeast to be used in a batch of beer (IPA) next weekend that will target around 8.5% alcohol.

It's my first time using Liquid yeast (and it will also be my first AG batch). Do I need to make a yeast starter, or can I simply pitch it at the correct temps as is?

Go to Www.yeastcalc.com and if in numbers including dates on packs and it will tell you pitch rate and viability and size of required starter using the two vials. My guess is you will need a 1-1.5L starter for a beer that big

Or a stepped starter. You keep letting the yeast ferment & settle,then make a new wort & pitch that into the new starter to get more yeast cells.

IMO, 2 vials is not enough. I recommend a starter. Go to mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com and plug in the numbers. With such a high starting gravity, you need it to attenuate well. There's nothing worse than fermentation crapping out and ending up with a sweet beer.

ok, it says on the yeast that with gravity higher than 1070 I ought to make a starter. However, I did get two vials rather than just one. Looks like I'll make one just to be safe.

andy6026 said:
ok, it says on the yeast that with gravity higher than 1070 I ought to make a starter. However, I did get two vials rather than just one. Looks like I'll make one just to be safe.

How many cells do you need according to the calculator? There's only 200 mil cells in two vials. I'm on my phone so I can't check, but you probably need something in the range of 280-350.

How many cells do you need according to the calculator? There's only 200 mil cells in two vials. I'm on my phone so I can't check, but you probably need something in the range of 280-350.

Says I need about 270 billion. Either I've inputted wrong, or our units are a few zeros off.

so, another question about this...

If I'm doing a yeast starter, was it superfluous of me to buy two vials of the same yeast? Should I make a starter with only one and save the other, or should I use both and simply double the DME and water for making the starter, i.e. make a double sized starter?

There are about 100 billion cells in a vial the day it is packaged. Depending on how old the vials are there could be a lot less. I recommend making starters whenever using liquid yeast. I would also suggest a 2 liter flask or bigger. A 1 liter flask will limit you to small starters or force you to do stepped starters.

so, another question about this...

If I'm doing a yeast starter, was it superfluous of me to buy two vials of the same yeast? Should I make a starter with only one and save the other, or should I use both and simply double the DME and water for making the starter, i.e. make a double sized starter?

If you plan to make another batch using the same yeast you could make a starter with one then make a second starter with the other for the next batch.

You do not need to make a double sized starter. You could make a smaller starter by using both vials in the starter. Use mrmalty.com or yeastcalc.com to determine the starter size based on whether you use one or both vials.

Sorry I was watching my kids soccer game while typing. I meant billions but you get the idea. A starter would be a good idea.

Back