Group Buy in Chicago #8

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Gothic_Horror said:
Cad, you may have said before, but how many barrels will your place be?

1.5BBL. 75G kettle, 65G mash tun, 75G HLT, 8x110G plastic conicals. Automated electric system designed and built by me.

Just added a sack of 2-row. Would've loved to jump in for 1lb of Zythos hops but I don't see that split available anymore. Guess they really are the cat's meow!

Thanks for setting this up Bill!

If you really want it, I can drop my split portion. I still have some, but wanted some reserve.

If you really want it, I can drop my split portion. I still have some, but wanted some reserve.

No don't worry about it, I'll wait and see if we get any more interest on the Zythos or I may even join in on another hop that people need to close out a split for. Thanks

Sippin37 said:
No don't worry about it, I'll wait and see if we get any more interest on the Zythos or I may even join in on another hop that people need to close out a split for. Thanks

Solid.

cadwallion said:
Just had a great conversation with zoning and licensing, nearly over the local hurdles and on to the state. Had to cancel yesterday's brew, but making up for it with Friday, Saturday, and Sunday brew sessions. Shipped improvements to my automation software that had the unintended consequence of no longer rendering text to the screen. Oops.

With my current inventory + my current order, I'll be set for grain for 18 brew sessions in base grain. Uncertain if this will be sufficient for me to get setup with my account, might have to add another 4 sacks of 2-row.

Cad

Just wondering, why are you still buying two row in sacks? Why not buy a half ton tote? Sounds like you have the storage space and brew capacity, it would be cheaper for you.

Cad

Just wondering, why are you still buying two row in sacks? Why not buy a half ton tote? Sounds like you have the storage space and brew capacity, it would be cheaper for you.

totes would definitely be cheaper but how would they be unloaded if you don't have a forklift?

This is the First Chicago group buy that I have seen that wasn't already closed. Just registered so I will try to log in later.
I'm assuming once this is closed then everyone sends payment via PayPal still assuming? Definitely looking for grain both base and specialty maybe some spice. currently have 12 new buckets with gamma seals to fill more than Likely will get 12 more soon
Seriously thanks for putting this together.

Can anyone please offer some help i am attempting to organize a group buy in the scranton pa area....

I am having difficulties a price that is worthwhile

Do you know any places to order?
Where do you order from?

Thanks in advance

Can anyone please offer some help i am attempting to organize a group buy in the scranton pa area....

I am having difficulties a price that is worthwhile

Do you know any places to order?
Where do you order from?

Thanks in advance

please read the 3rd paragraph of the very first post of this thread.

ylpaul2000 said:
Cad

I am not brewing on my large system yet due to licensing. I am brewing on my 0.5BBL test lab to refine recipes and experiment with new ideas. My recipe lab is also in a basement.

I go through a sack of 2-row a week in the lab.

ThirstT said:
When are the tours beginning?

I wish I knew. I was planning for an August opening. Now...October maybe? I would love to show off the place early to people, though.

I updated the spreadsheet for the last time tonight. 297 sacks. great googley moogley!

idigg said:
11,000 lb of Canadian 2row? Why not more Great Western guys? :)

Probably $$$$

I bought some Great Western Northwest Pale Ale Malt last buy. Just used it so I don't have any idea if its better than the Canadian 2-row I bought the previous buy

I've used both and didn't notice a difference, so I requested the cheaper stuff.

Agreed, 5 more lbs too I believe...for my lighter beers I go canadian superior pale...I only tell myself its mid grade but I doubt its any different.
An English like Fawcett mo is obvious in taste tho.

You guys made me want Zythos, I was going through the trash bag of hops in my chest freezer and by gosh I found a pound, so I used it. Tonight I made an amber Ale, hopped with warrior --> then Zythos at 30-15-5-0. This brew needed some hops because it came in at just over 20 brix. Yeast 1056. I don't think it will be ready for the pick-up?

I am going to try this newfangled hop stand (hop steep at 170 degrees for 30 minutes) thing with zythos hops, but I don't know when.

I am going to try this newfangled hop stand (hop steep at 170 degrees for 30 minutes) thing with zythos hops, but I don't know when.

Funny you mention that I've been following that thread too. I'm working on fashioning a dry-hop torpedo out of a house water filter, also mentioned in that thread. Please post back your comments once your trial is done, uh will do as well.

The other split of Dark 2 Belgian Candi Syrup is the 6 1lb bags for $24 if anyone is interested.

Funny you mention that I've been following that thread too. I'm working on fashioning a dry-hop torpedo out of a house water filter, also mentioned in that thread. Please post back your comments once your trial is done, uh will do as well.

Since I have 21 lbs of hops to use before September :drunk:, I think I will do three separate steeps. 1 oz at flameout for 10 minutes, 1 oz at 170 for as long as I can stand it (20-30 minutes), and then another oz once the wort gets below 135. It takes me a while to get from 110 to 65, so this should be another 20 minutes at least.

Apparently each steep adds a different character.

Since I have 21 lbs of hops to use before September :drunk:, I think I will do three separate steeps. 1 oz at flameout for 10 minutes, 1 oz at 170 for as long as I can stand it (20-30 minutes), and then another oz once the wort gets below 135. It takes me a while to get from 110 to 65, so this should be another 20 minutes at least.

Apparently each steep adds a different character.

Yes please do take brewday notes and sampling notes, which I am guessing you already do...but please share. That thread was on my list of experiments to follow, just not in th pipeline as of yet. But the recirc dryhop torpedo on the other hand, I can get in with a current frermenter provided I get my tail in gear and and finish this thing.

The other split of Dark 2 Belgian Candi Syrup is the 6 1lb bags for $24 if anyone is interested.
Thanks! picked it up.. I just used my last bag on a Wee Heavy.

Dave your building one like SN uses? A inline hop filter on a pump? I wondered how they keep it from clogging? They showed it on the dogfishhead tv show.

Thanks! picked it up.. I just used my last bag on a Wee Heavy.

Dave your building one like SN uses? A inline hop filter on a pump? I wondered how they keep it from clogging? They showed it on the dogfishhead tv show.

Yeah Mike, I'm gonna try just a nylon bag under a slow recirc, I am hoping with leaf hops it won't be much of an issue... But we will see, maybe I can come up with a crossover valve so I can reverse flow without a disconnect to break the clog...honestly I'm more concerned with foaming and oxidation.

I have a 3rd SS chugger pump I wanted to do something like what your doing, but before I drop the coin on the cam-lock fittings, I want some kind of a plan. Let me know how things workout.
I tried using this basket with a paint strainer around the sides, it worked, but it also had problems.

Where'd you pick up the 12" sheave ( Grainger/McM), I trash picked a treadmill I plan to covert to a motorized mill. The motor and the speed control work surprisingly..

Granger the 12" was 40$ish and the 1.5" was 5$. I like the adjustable belts. If you need a motor I have a crap load of 220v 1/3hp.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back