What Style is this beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

goplayoutside

Reaction score
I have a recipe. I am going to brew it as soon as my fridge temp controller shows up. What style would you call it? Any tweaks suggested?

It's kind of like a wheat pale ale or something I guess, although with less wheat than a typical wheat and less hops than a typical pale maybe it's more of a blonde? It's for a 3 gallon batch b/c I don't like doing partial boils and I don't have a propane cooker so I am stuck using the stove.

Fermentables:
1.50 lb Wheat Dry Extract
1.00 lb Extra Light Dry Extract
1.00 lb Pilsen Dry Extract

Steeping Grains:
0.33 lb Caramel/Crystal Malt - 10L
0.15 lb Caravienne Malt
0.15 lb Victory Malt

Hops:
60 min: .3 oz each of Fuggles & Willamette
10 min: .33 oz each of Fuggles & Willamette
1 min: .33 oz each of Fuggles & Willamette

Yeast: Nottingham

Other: Irish Moss, Yeast Nutrient

Estimated O.G. is 1.045, estimated F.G. 1.011, estimated color 6.3 SRM, Estimated IBU 21.2, Estimated ABV 4.41

I plan on doing a single stage fermentation at 60-62 degrees F, taking a gravity reading after 10 days to make sure I am at F.G., cold-crashing to 45 for a week to clear and then bottling (this will be bottle-conditioned).

Doesn't really fit a style with ur choice of yeast. Call it Frankenstein wheat! One comment on the hop profile: I doubt splitting your variety on the 60 minute addition will have any flavor impact. Just use the higher alpha acid variety for your desired IBU level and save the other for late addition...

The hops are about the same alpha acid content and the recipe is designed to use 1 oz of each with little left over. I am going with the Nottingham yeast because I trust it to give me a clean, complete fermentation. I have found it to be pretty nuetral in flavor profile when fermented below 62 deg... I would like to sometime split a batch between Nottingham and US-05 and compare.

English Pale Ale?

A little high on the cara- malts considering you're at 13%. Cut that in half and keep the victory at 4%. You don't need both C10 and Caravienne. Use one or the other with such little amounts.

I'm getting 1.052 with this recipe as is. Cut some crystal and you should attenuate closer to 1.011. You might want to ferment in the mid-60s. A cold crash for a 3 gallon extract brew with a good floc yeast, and very little recipe hops shouldn't be necessary. A cold crash is usually done at least 10 degrees colder anyway. Your turnaround time (aside from the 3 week bottle carbing) should be rather quick.

its only like 25% wheat as the extracts are around 60%, so looks like a blonde to me. +1 to OG being off, the rest looks fine

It's a "English wheat pale ale". In other words, it doesn't fit any style guideline. But it looks pretty good!

I like the amount of crystal (a tad less than .50 pound in a three gallon batch is fine), and I like the victory since it gives a dry and "toasty" flavor. Fuggles and willamette together are earthy and a bit fruity. I think it'll turn out really nice.

Re: OG wrong-- The reason the OG is off is, I lied accidentally. The recipe is for a 3.5 gallon batch, I was trying to match the O.G. and IBU of a previous recipe and I put all the ingredients in there (mostly in convenient amounts) and both came out a little high... so I added water.

Re: cara-malts: I am trying for a beer that gives an overall clean & refreshing impression but has some different grain and malt notes in it (the wheat is there for head retention and taste). Maybe cutting the C10 and replacing with corn sugar is the way to go, I really would like it to come out on the dry side.

Re: fermentation temp & cold crash: Planning to use the listed procedure because it has worked for me before, I always struggled to get clean tasting beers until I started fermenting with Nottingham on the colder side and I always had cloudy brew until I started doing the cold crash (with the wheat I am somewhat concerned about this, I know it will probably not be completely clear but I was hoping the cold crash would help some). Now this beer is definitely not a "big" beer so maybe I could get away with doing things differently but I have not brewed in a while, just getting back into it, and I really want this batch to come out good and get me excited for the next one!

Re: Fuggles & Willamette-- I have had pretty good results with this combo in a previous brew, really refreshing with fruit/floral character but not overpowering at all. Hopefully it works out for me a 2nd time.

Also I am a litty wary of steeping the victory malt. Maybe I should PM and switch out the xldme for 6-row. For a dry fermenting wort, what should be the mash temp and water/grain ratio?

Latest posts

Back