Wood-Aged Beer Pirate Strong Ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Dotty sorry to hear that. I have never tasted the rum after it has sat with the oak chips.

4oz of oak chips are used because it has been scaled for a 5 gallon batch of beer. It is meant to mimic the surface area of beer exposed to a oak barrel. By tasting the rum directly from the oak chips I think you are tasting a highly concentrated solution that needs to be diluted in 5 gallons of beer.

Hope this helps

j1laskey said:
Dotty sorry to hear that. I have never tasted the rum after it has sat with the oak chips.

4oz of oak chips are used because it has been scaled for a 5 gallon batch of beer. It is meant to mimic the surface area of beer exposed to a oak barrel. By tasting the rum directly from the oak chips I think you are tasting a highly concentrated solution that needs to be diluted in 5 gallons of beer.

Hope this helps

Thanks! That is a good and reasonable explanation--I'll keep to the recipe and look to bottling late next week or on the weekend.

OK, doubt it's from the oak chips. Having them soak for a little longer shouldn't have caused an effect like you detailed - IMO. Did you like the taste of the rum before you used it with the oak chips? Honestly, I'd leave it based on the info you gave at this point. My rum(s) ended up still usable for marinades, etc. Didn't have any of what you described at all.

Oh yeah, the rum is delicious. It's a spiced rum that is slightly sweet--maybe the sugar reacted badly with the oak chips? Hard to say.

I agree...not really a way to tell. Still surprised that it happened the way it did. I used Cap'n Morgan's Tatoo in my last one and was able to save that stuff as well. I can't imagine the oak chips causing a problem like that but...maybe there was some type of resin or something within...Well, either way, I am hoping for the best for you!

So almost a year after brewing this recipe as my first Partial Mash, I am revisiting it again as an All Grain with some twists and plan on making this on my first brew of 2013.

I have a batch that is coming off a Belgian cake any day and thought that this yeast would add something different and yet compliment the ingredients.
Ladies and Gents, I present to you-

The Belgian Pirate

Recipe Type: All Grain
Yeast: WY3522 Belgian Ardennes (G3 Cake)
Batch Size (Gallons): 5.25
Original Gravity: 1.088 - 1.092 est.
Final Gravity: 1.014-1.016 est.
IBU: 35.4
Boiling Time (Minutes): 60
Color: 19.8 SRM
Primary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): ~3 weeks
Secondary Fermentation (# of Days & Temp): 1 week

Ingredients:

10 lbs American 2-row
2 lb German Munich
0.5 lb CaraAroma
1 lbs Torrified Wheat
1.5 lbs Light Brown Sugar @ 15 min

0.75 oz Chinook (Pellets, 12.0 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Mt. Hood (Pellets, 6.0 %AA) boiled 20 min.

1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
2 lb. Pineapple (fresh) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
4 oz. Oak Wood Chips soaked in Cruzan Dark Rum (French Oak secondary) (not included in calculations)
1 ea. Vanilla (whole bean) (Secondary) (not included in calculations)

Yeast : WY3522 Belgian Ardennes (Cake)

Mash thin @ 150 for 90 min. Pitch on cake @ 64*, ferment @ 70*.

Soak french oak chips and split Vanilla Bean in Cruzan Dark Rum on brewday. I find the Dark Cruzan to have more spice and molasses flavor than Meyers. And is good in coffee. :) I plan to keg half to drink early, and bottle half to age.

I'll update with measured numbers. Happy brewing and happy new years! :tank:

When are you adding the pound of light brown sugar ? This recipe is for sure on my to do list. Actually just seen the all grain recipe as I didn't read through all the posts. But still interested in knowing when you added for the partial recipe.

What type of oak chips are you using ? American or French ? Medium or heavy toasted ? As there is a measureable difference in the flavor when using one or the other.

When are you adding the pound of light brown sugar ? This recipe is for sure on my to do list. Actually just seen the all grain recipe as I didn't read through all the posts. But still interested in knowing when you added for the partial recipe.

I added the brown sugar at flameout during my partial mash. Pushing it back to 15min this time for the all grain.

What type of oak chips are you using ? American or French ? Medium or heavy toasted ? As there is a measureable difference in the flavor when using one or the other.

I havent purchased the oak yet, but im shooting for American medium toast. Thats what I used last time and it imparted a great oak flavor.

smurfwar said:
Well this recipe is getting me to transition away from extract. Safe lazy extract. How dare you!
Ordered supplies today. Got a hop blend to substitute the citra. Looking forward to this beer.

Well tasting day was Saturday. A couple big bottles and i was useless for the night. Damn good stuff. Looking forward to brewing again. Named mine the " Caribbean Shipwreck"

j1laskey said:
I have brewed this many times and can't get enough of it. Friends of mine continually ask me to brew this over and over again. Of all the recipes I have cooked up, I feel this one is worthy to post here on HTB.

Ingredients
5 lbs American 2-row
0.5 lb Weyermann CaraAroma®; Weyermann
1 lbs Torrified Wheat
5 lbs Dry Light Extract
1 lbs Light Brown Sugar
0.5 oz Galena (Pellets, 14.1 %AA) boiled 60 min.
1 oz Citra™ (Pellets, 14.0 %AA) boiled 5 min.
1 ea. Cinnamon (stick) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
10 oz. Pineapple (fresh) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
1 tbsp. Yeast Nutrient (AKA Fermax) (15 min boil) (not included in calculations)
4 oz. Oak Wood Chips soaked in Myers Dark Rum (French Oak secondary) (not included in calculations)
1 ea. Vanilla (whole bean) (Secondary) (not included in calculations)
Yeast : White Labs WLP060 American Ale Yeast Blend info

First soak french oak chips in Myers Dark Rum for 3 weeks

Brewday
Mash grains @ 154-156 for 60 mins. Sparge 0.5 gallon H20 @ 170. I squeeze the bag and collect all runnings.

Add DME (flameout) and bring to boil. From start of boil start hop, pineapple, cinnamon, and nutrient additions at the appropriate times.

End of boil remove pineapple pieces and cinnamon stick.

Cool wort to 70 degrees, add H2O for final volume of 5 gallons. Aerate, and pitch.

Ferment @ ~68 degrees for 3 weeks.

Secondary Add french oak chips that have been soaked in Myers Dark Rum. Add 1 vanilla bean that has been cut open lengthwise exposing the inner seeds.

Bottle/Keg After 7-10 of secondary transfer to bottles or keg. I keg and this beer is very very very drinkable after a week of carbonation.

Planning on brewing something similar to this baby this weekend. Seemed quite light on the hops, so I put this recipe in BeerSmith and get: OG 1.087, FG 1.016, 9.5% ABV, SRM 12.8, but only 17.6 IBU and 0.202 IBU/SG. I believe OP states 37 IBU which gives 0.425 IBU/SG which would seem more reasonable. Are the hop amounts in the recipe correct? Seems way too unbalanced. Thoughts by those who have brewed it?

It's not a hoppy beer for sure. The malt profile is balanced IMO. It's the background flavors that make this beer special...again, my opinion. Those that have had it have enjoyed it at my place.

pwortiz said:
It's not a hoppy beer for sure. The malt profile is balanced IMO. It's the background flavors that make this beer special...again, my opinion. Those that have had it have enjoyed it at my place.

Thanks, pwortiz. Reviewed this thread a bit more and I think I will brew this as-is without changing anything.

I will be brewing this again Saturday. This time I will be substituting the 5# DME for a total of 15# 2-Row. I will leave the rest of the recipe the same.

Beertools states the numbers as:

OG 1.089 FG 1.017
SRM 15.93
IBU 36.4
ABV 9.5

All the above are very close to the original numbers. I will follow up in a few weeks with some notes.

Ahhh, yeeeeah. All grain baby! I plan to do the same just so that I don't forget certain grains the way I did before. I just drank the last of the Pineapple version two days ago from my first batch nearly 10 months ago. I noticed the malt profile came out a bit more. I still have about 6 of my mango version left...

I got my 10 gallon kettle a while ago and just haven't gotten around to brew this on yet in it. I was worried about the amount of grain. I recently brewed BYO's clone of Bigfoot in it, I think it was 20#s total The system I have could handle it, so this 16# brew so be OK in it.

Yeah. I am a BIAB guy. Same end product with less equipment and cleaning. I keep it simple. Work smarter not harder. Parsimony.

j1laskey said:
I will be brewing this again Saturday. This time I will be substituting the 5# DME for a total of 15# 2-Row. I will leave the rest of the recipe the same.

OG 1.089 FG 1.017
SRM 15.93
IBU 36.4
ABV 9.5

All the above are very close to the original numbers. I will follow up in a few weeks with some notes.

Ok...Beertools must be using Rager.

I use the default of "Beertools" for the Utilization Algorithms on Beertools. I reset it for Rager and the IBU is calculated as 39.4. Very close.

Just bottled an extract version of this. Used US-05 (had it on hand) which fermented it out to 1.016. Got a lot of pineapple aroma and flavor and much less of the other flavor additions. Will see how it ends up after it is carbed and cold.

Snuck a taste of one of these after just 8 days in the bottle, cooled for 45 min in the freezer (yes, less than ideal, I know). This is already an amazing beer! I cannot believe how well the favors blend together. A little Citra is the perfect compliment, too. I can't believe this is so smooth. This will be a beautiful beer when done. Have to say I was a little skeptical brewing this, but wow! Well done...excellent recipe!

Just got all the grains for this... picking up the spices and fruit later today and brewing day tomorrow... been wanting to try this for some time and I can't wait.. cheers

Forgive me if this was answered but when u add the chips to the fermenter do you pour in the left over rum as well or just the chips!?

Just the chips. You'll want to strain the rum into another container. While not the most drinkable, you can use it for BBQ (jerk chicken glaze maybe?) and other sundries. Just don't waste it!

I usually use a sanitized mesh bag and just pour from one container to another (mason jar?) and that's worked pretty well thus far.

So I FINALLY brewed this today! Despite having a very low efficiency (I'm still trying to dial in my keggle for BIAB), the brew day went well and this is now in the carboy doing its thing. I made this per the original recipe except for 2 modifications. I'm going to soak the oak chips (French, med toast) in Kraken rum, and I'm using Wyeast 1764 Pacman yeast since it's my house yeast. I had a little wort left over after filling my carboy so I put some in a 1 gal jug and am fermenting that with Wyeast 3864 Unibroue just for fun. I'll let you guys know how it turns out. Thanks j1laskey for the recipe, I'm looking forward to trying it!

OG 1.089 FG 1.017
SRM 15.93
IBU 36.4
ABV 9.5

I'm looking at doing your AG version, but I'm getting the following numbers with 15# 2-row...

OG - 1.087 FG - 1.021
SRM - 11.0
IBU - 23.57
ABV - 8.65

I'm using iBrewMaster with 75% efficiency. Any ideas why there is such a difference between our SRM's and IBU's? Thanks!

I'm looking at doing your AG version, but I'm getting the following numbers with 15# 2-row...

OG - 1.087 FG - 1.021
SRM - 11.0
IBU - 23.57
ABV - 8.65

I'm using iBrewMaster with 75% efficiency. Any ideas why there is such a difference between our SRM's and IBU's? Thanks!

I am not familiar with the iBrewMaster software. Which algorithm do you have you hop utilization set for?

Also, have you adjusted the weigh of hops added due to AA%?

j1laskey said:
I am not familiar with the iBrewMaster software. Which algorithm do you have you hop utilization set for?

Also, have you adjusted the weigh of hops added due to AA%?

It was set for Tinseth. I tried it with it set to Rager and it came out with an IBU'S of 46.60.

As far as the weights go, the only adjustment I've done is scaling your recipe up by 10% for my 5.5 gallon batch size.

image-2350968207.jpg

Thanks for the picture, they are always very helpful.

So I noticed that the Galena and Citra you are using are 13 and 13.2. I originally used 14.1 ad 14.

I use Beertools and the algorithm I used is the default "beertools". After plugging in your numbers into Beertools and resetting for Tinseth I am getting 26.3.

j1laskey said:
Thanks for the picture, they are always very helpful.

So I noticed that the Galena and Citra you are using are 13 and 13.2. I originally used 14.1 ad 14.

I use Beertools and the algorithm I used is the default "beertools". After plugging in your numbers into Beertools and resetting for Tinseth I am getting 26.3.

Ok, that makes sense. So I'm guessing that I need to up mine a little to get closer to the (your) original IBU?

After inputting the actual AA for the Galena and Citra from my LHBS (12.8 and 13.9) in order to get up to your original IBU I've raised the amounts to .9oz Galena and 1.4oz Citra. That gives me an IBU of 36.5 Tinseth.

I appreciate all the help. I'm still a new brewer so any advice/input I can get is much appreciated.

Ok, that makes sense. So I'm guessing that I need to up mine a little to get closer to the (your) original IBU?

After inputting the actual AA for the Galena and Citra from my LHBS (12.8 and 13.9) in order to get up to your original IBU I've raised the amounts to .9oz Galena and 1.4oz Citra. That gives me an IBU of 36.5 Tinseth.

I appreciate all the help. I'm still a new brewer so any advice/input I can get is much appreciated.

Good luck. I hope it turns out well for you.

Did I miss it LOL but when do u add the lb of brown sugar? ?.. was just gonna add it with the dme at flameout pre boil... thanks guys

Finished brewing this yesterday.. added a whirlfloc tab as I'm weird about clear beers LOL but smelled incredible with the cinnamon and pineapple.. can't wait to taste this. Cheers for a recipe that I can already tell is going to be on tap in my "cave" for a while

So.....I am finally getting around to brewing this again tomorrow. I was distracted by my hoard of hops in the freezer and brewed a simcoe/citra/Amarillo DIPA. Then I thought with the warmer weather approaching I should brew a saison......so 2 brews later I am finally getting around to it. My starter has been spinning for 36 hours now.....it is hungry for chew through this beer

Back